Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Service Connected but Hearing Loss Denied

Rate this question

ErcIm97

Question

Hello,

I’m new to the community and wanted to get some advice. I’m service connected for Tinnitus but was denied Hearing Loss due to my hearing not meeting the requirements at the time of testing. I later developed hearing loss and now wear hearing aids in both ear. I was planning on doing a VA claim for hearing loss again but didn’t know what I should do… has anyone had this experience? I have Audiograms from both VA and personal ENT showing proof of Hearing Loss and my ENT also documented that it was likely due to my service in the Gulf War. I didn’t know if I needed to file a supplemental claim or submit a new claim….

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

VA Hearing exams are based on 2 factors- a puretone audio exam, and the Maryland CNC Speech Discrimination test, which uses 50 words to determine the level of speech discrimination (how well you hear common words).

3 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

VA Hearing exams are based on 2 factors- a puretone audio exam, and the Maryland CNC Speech Discrimination test, which uses 50 words to determine the level of speech discrimination (how well you hear common words).

True, yet I believe they are highly inaccurate, as I can hear the words when a male (deeper tone) speaks them in real life, than a woman (higher tone). When my ears are chirping or screaming at me, I can't hear my wife, but I can hear my friend. Obviously, it's subjective and they can only apply the law objectively. I have an exam coming up for new aids, and that puretone test is always a complete disaster, lol.

true- you may have high frequency hearing loss, which, when paired with tinnitus, really sucks. Even a 0% rating is a win, though, because you can get hearing aids to boost those frequencies and many have a subtone that helps cancel out the tinnitus. The last pair of Phonak's I got do this, and also let me adjust hearing more to the front, rear, or all around, and bass/trebel. They are also rechargeable just like a pair of earbuds, so I don't have to worry about batteries, either.

• HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

I second what @broncovet said. I have hearing loss rated at 0% and am service connected for tinnitus at 10% (the only rating allowed). From my understanding, the regulations set the bar fairly high to be compensated for hearing loss. The regs were probably written by someone who didn't know what hearing loss is like. That being said, it is what it is and appeal or supplemental claim may be necessary. I have found that my hearing aids help and would recommend getting a pair from the VA.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

Join me in putting in for an extra-schedular rating of at least 30%.  Tinnitus cuts out many jobs.  It is not correctible by hearing aids and interferes with hearing the warning beeps in many industrial jobs.  and even dishwashing with a dishwasher in a restaurant. 

If enough of us put in for it, maybe Beth Murphy will re-evaluate the rating.  Hearing aids do not correct the situation.  at least for me and I have the best issued by the VA now.  Mine was remanded to the Director Compensation Services in 2017 but the DRO at Central ignored it.  So have to get CCK to take it back. 

Also, hearing is hearing.  hearing difficulty is hearing difficulty whether it is caused by a decibel loss or tinnitus.  Let us see what CCK can do with it for me.  and if you copy them with your extra-schedular claims it as well will probably help.

I have the evidence in my military medical record of being refused a Navy forklift operators permit when I was in Supply at Naval Hospital Great Lakes, IL in 1965.  Possibly she will grant EEDs back to discharge.  But have to get the DRO at Central to act on it.

Edited by Lemuel

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, brokensoldier244th said:

true- you may have high frequency hearing loss, which, when paired with tinnitus, really sucks. Even a 0% rating is a win, though, because you can get hearing aids to boost those frequencies and many have a subtone that helps cancel out the tinnitus. The last pair of Phonak's I got do this, and also let me adjust hearing more to the front, rear, or all around, and bass/trebel. They are also rechargeable just like a pair of earbuds, so I don't have to worry about batteries, either.

Do your hearing aids help that much with tinnitus?  I may request new ones based upon that.

My hearing aids are about 4 years old I think.  I thought the VA gave me the best they had then.  My hearing aids do nothing for the beeps drowned out by tinnitus.  They are the best I have ever had and I got my first in the Navy at Naval Hospital Great Lakes, IL.  I have a protected rating of 20% for hearing and 10% for tinnitus.  But I received those ratings before the "correctable hearing" rule went into effect.  And a legal challenge, before the CAVC existed, at the CAFC by someone else got my 20% back after it was dropped in the late 1980s.