Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intent to File just showed up (7 times)

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

On my most recent claim, I was able to get service connected to put me at the 100% mark and was permanent  and total. I had submitted an intent to file in August 2023. 

When I received my decision letter, I saw that for whatever reason there was a newer intent to file that occurred in March however, I never submitted a new intent to file. The date of this intent file was the same date a supplemental claim was submitted.

The strangest part is not only was there one intent to file on that date, but there were seven. This definitely is indicative of some sort of error.

I had taken my time and spoke to ebenefits customer service and tech-support, and the other VA claims representatives to see if they could pull up the intent to file to verify if I actually submitted it, but nobody has access to see the document and can only see that the system said it was submitted.

How can I get this fixed and who should I contact? This error has cost me over seven months of backpay.

I fully understand I could dispute the date.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A VERA call, or talking to a VSO. The phone people do not have access to look in the claims file

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I would just watch it and do nothing. I had this happen too, and the system just kicked it out after a short time period.  You have the 100% P&T, so congrats on that! I would just login maybe once every two weeks and leave it alone. An "intent to file" is just that...an intent to file. If you didn't do it and/or your rep didn't do it, just let it ride and keep an eye out on it, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

BOHICA

I advise timely appealing the effective date, by filing a nod.  This is the procedure of correcting an error.  You can also try filing a cue, BUT, once the 1 year appeal period expires you cant appeal.  You can make all the phone calls in the world, but, only by filing a timely appeal do you preserve your effective date legally.  

Broken Soldier:  I give up, what is a "VERA" call.  It sounds like one of those where Veterans are not privy to this information.  I have no idea what "Vera's" phone number is, nor do I know how to look it up.  ITs been my experience, Veterans are not given access to internal (VA employee) phone numbers and/or tiltles 99 percent of the time.  

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I advise timely appealing the effective date, by filing a nod.  This is the procedure of correcting an error.  You can also try filing a cue, BUT, once the 1 year appeal period expires you cant appeal.  You can make all the phone calls in the world, but, only by filing a timely appeal do you preserve your effective date legally.  

Broken Soldier:  I give up, what is a "VERA" call.  It sounds like one of those where Veterans are not privy to this information.  I have no idea what "Vera's" phone number is, nor do I know how to look it up.  ITs been my experience, Veterans are not given access to internal (VA employee) phone numbers and/or tiltles 99 percent of the time.  

You google VERA. You go to the website and set up an appointment with one of the VERA reps in your RO. They have the ability to see more of what is in your claim folder than the 1800 phone people. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Wow, Broken soldier.  It sounds like their is another "resolution" device (Vera) I had not heard of until today.  Thank you.  I am going to check it out.  

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff