Guest unit731

Question

Guest unit731

Ratings:

70% PTSD

30% Irritable Bowel

0% Knee

Total Rating: 80%

About 6 years ago applied for unemployability and was granted compensation of 100%. But still rated at 80%.

Long since stopped working because of disabilities. No other contact with VA since other than twice yearly scheduled visits to VA doctor - for routine physical check-ups.

Last year, I went to DAV and requested to file a claim - and what I thought was 100% Permanent and Total. A claim was filed by the DAV - but I can't remember what the DAV rep. asked for. I think I just signed form to let DAV act as my representative.

Last May, I receive a letter from VA stating that I am Permanent and Total. I thought this meant 100% Permanent and Total, but this does not. I am still rated 80%. The letter from VA did not state any percentage. It just states that I am Permanent and Total. I am still

Now to my questions:

What does this mean? 80% Permanent and Total?

Do I get any more benefits?

Again, I thought Permanent and Total was equal to 100% - but I am surely wrong on this.

I am baffled.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have benefits mainly for you spouse and dependents by being P&T. These are significant benefits including ChampVA and educational assistence for dependents. You may be entitled to state tax benefits as well.

I believe your confusion is in the "total" part....I do not believe that you must be "totally" disabled in order to be "permanently" disabled. But, either way, technically you are totally disabled by reason of unemployability, even though your rating may only reflect 80%.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not able to work you should be awarded Unemployability. I am not sure how you should get it cause if you ask for it the wrong way may not go back to effective date?

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest unit731

Thanks for looking.

I still haven't received a complete answer to my original question. What Permenant and Total with 80% mean?

And what is the difference between 100% Permenant and Total and 80% Permenant and Total?

• HadIt.com Elder

P&T with 80% means that you must have acuired IU, and can not work period, and you would therefore be paid at the 100% rate.

If you have a rating that is 100% and qualifies for P&T, then you could still work and draw both, but you are subject to more reveiws if you are not considered unemployable.

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.

Check with you DAV SO and ask him to inquire as to whether you are still 80% with P&T with IU or has your percentage been increased to 100% P&T. If you are 100% disabled, ask for a letter stating this fact for your records. If you have been increased in disability, then you need to know how the percentages are divided up between your service connected disabilities.

You will need the letter to spell it out, if you are to get an ID card from your nearest military base The card in of itself gives you access to discounts, priveleges as well as other things I can't remember at the moment.

I'm not sure you can get these things with 80% P&T with IU. Better to get it clarified as soon as possible

Jim S. :rolleyes: