Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Denied My Sc Heart Condition!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

Well, 2 weeks ago I received a letter from the VA that they denied my claim for my heart condition. I have been SC for my heart for over 40 years. Since 1966. Although I did have a heart attack over a year ago and have not worked since. I was approved for SSDI last July. I was extremely disapointed when the VA turned me down and wanted to just say to hell with it. My VSO and my VA Psychiatrist talked me into filing a NOD for anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my service connected heart condition. I am just tired of explaining it every time to someone new. I would really like to forget about it and for people to leave me alone. I am very pleased with my VA social worker and VA Psychiatrist. But I have to keep talking about it and I really don't want to. I also feel the VA is laughing at me and doesn't want to help me. Sorry to ramble on. I'm not sure if this post is even appropriate. I'm sorry if I am out of order. I guess its just frustration and my way to vent. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

BM - I am just a little confused. You started your post and said you had been SC'ed for your heart for over 40 years and then you said the VA just denied SC for your heart condition. Could you pleas clarify? I am sure someone on here can help you with this. Also what were the reasons for the denial if you don't mind posting them.

Ricky - I have been SC for my heart for over 40 years. The VA denied my claim for compensation and is still showing me 0% SC for my heart. Here is the reason for denial:

"We have continued the evaluation of Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia (PAT) as 0 percent disabling because symtoms warranting the next higher evaluation were not shown by the medical evidence of record".

I have been denied 4 times since 1968 when they took my 10% away from me, after medically discharging me in 1966 with my heart condition. I have also been in the hospital 4 times with this same heart condition and on Jan 25, 2006 I had a heart attack and have not been able to work since. I am receiving SSDI because I can't work anymore. My VSO has filed a NOD to add anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my service connected heart condition.

Thanks, Brian

Brian:

If you are already service connected for heart condition and now Social Security has granted you SSD for Heart you should have a slam dunk for 100%.

If you are able you should ask for a Hearing with a Decision Review Officer and sit down and let them explain why they did not grant.If you can get something from your Doc that says you are suffering from heart condition that will not let you work from a Service Connected COndition they have to give it to you.

Good Luck and don't give up. You earned the benefits.

Pete, The VA is showing me SC 0% for my heart. I have been receiving SSDI since July 06. The Social Security determination is Primary Diagnosis - Anxiety Disorders and Secondary Diagnosis - Chronic Ischemic Heart Disease with or w/o Angina.

My VSO has filed a NOD to add anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my SC heart condition.

The question that I have is if the VA won't give me any compensation for my heart why would they give me any compensation for anxiety and depression. I guess I just don't understand the process.

Thanks, Brian

If you continue to appeal and provide new evidence to the VA you will win your claim eventually. This has happened time and time again here on Hadit. Many who do get their correct rating go on their way and you never hear from them again, but there have been many.

John999, I appreciate the fact that if I continue to appeal that I will eventually win. What I don't understand is if I have the proper evidence now, why doesn't the VA just compensate me now and save everyone all the hassles. Do you have any idea how long a NOD like mine takes to get an answer from the VA.

Thanks, Brian

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian, do you have tricare? If you do then get an outside medical opinion as to the extent og your heart diisease gtom a board certified cardiologist. It sounds liek the VARO is ignoring t he heart condition and ist seriousness. If you are able to get an opinion compare it to the the records you have. Use it as AMMO for the VARO. Are you service connected for hypertension?

Good Luck

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

"0" SC is better than "0" NSC- but big differnece between these ratings-

I am quite surprised that VA is denying you due to an apparent and obvious increase in your heart disease-

if you deal with Buffalo VARO- they dont get to and read NODs until a year has passed in most cases-

then again- if you have significant ,medical evidence that the SC 0 rating is completley wrong- why didnt your vet rep suggest filing a reconsideration of the denial? and attaching the evidence to that?

It does not stop the NOD clock (the NOD still has to be filed within a year) but maybe it would call their attention to your evidence.

Oh I see the NOD has already been filed:

"My VSO has filed a NOD to add anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my SC heart condition."

That's nice but all that will take probative medical evidence and most probably a very strong medical opinion on the CAD -anxiety PTSD part.

If you have anxiety, depression and PTSD directly due to your service

that could be a better way to go than as secondary to what VA says is SC but at "0" %. And then continue to appeal with the NOD for the heart disease for proper increase-----

independent of the other claims.

The VSOs idea could work- dont get me wrong-but this will take strong medical evidence-

Did you get a VCAA letter telling you in underlinded statements under the generic stuff exactly what the VA needs?

Did they list the evidence that proves the increase of 0 % and then use this evidence in the narrative?

What medical rationale did the VA state in order to deny your claim?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta is right cause all you have to show is that it is worse which is obvious to all. Even the VA has started to admit that anxiety disorder and heart conditions can be related.

You must be dealing with a really out of date VARO.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.