Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Disease Rate Increase

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I am rated 60%heart disease / 20% DBII / 10% NP left / 10% NP right I am being compensated at 70% VA Math.

Recently had another blockage issue in the heart and another stent implanted doc said limit duty next month and come back and see him for evaluation. Called the VA for advise as to rate increase they said would send paper work in 60 days and then file.

My questions are should I file for this rate increae or go with a NOD from my last award in Feb. 07

If I go with NOD (Sept.06 one year from that date)I was thinking of asking for a different award date. They only added the heart disease after I had a heart attack in Oct. 05 although I had complained of heart pain on my first claim in 03 and it was denied. I then reapplied in August of 06 and they again denied heart only after I had my heart attack in 05 did they finally allow the heart issue as secondary to DB2.

I feel it is obvious that something caused my heart issue and it was there long before Oct. 05 but all the test they where running stress, cardio and such showed nothing. Is this a CUE?

Anyhow all help would be appreciated on this matter. I have the feeling things are going down hill very quick and don't know how much more I can battle with them before I have another heart attack.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Berta,

Your statement below is very interesting I went back and checked in one of my denied SOC the Va refers that "However the evidence shows a diagnosis of hyperlipidemia only" as ther is no evidence of a current heart condition secondary to DB2, service connection is denied.

This from a SOC in 2004 again explaining why they were dening a heart condition at that time. I tried again in August of 05 and was asked for any new evidence in Sept. 05 which I had none so I did not answer them but when I had my heart attack in Oct. 05 I had new evidence, so I sent that. They made a decision on my calim again dening and only after I appealed and sent the records of the hospital surgery and a letter from my cardio doc did they finally grant heart disease "mycardial fraction" BUT only back to the date of my attack not back to the date I orginally filed this claim of August 05 but I still feel my EED should be back further. Please let me know how you all thing I should proceed with this.

Also one other thing if I had died my wife would not have had the knowledge on how to claim for my death like you are doing for Rod I wish you all the best in yours!

Terry-that 'medical statement' is absurd.

Diabetes can cause hyperlipidemia which causes atherosclerosis which causes HBP. As well as PN.

If a vet has peripheral Neuropathy that is from DMII how can the VA possibly disassociate the Peripheral neuropathy from diabetic neutopathy if the vet has diabetes diagnosed too?

I have posted the link to the VA's own Diabetes Trianing Letter here many times-

I have supported local claims with the whole thing-

it clearly states:

"Complications are often divided into several categories.

Microvascular complications (small blood vessel damage)

• retinopathy - eye

• neuropathy - nerves

• nephropathy - kidney

Macrovascular Complications (large blood vessel damage)

• heart problems

• hypertension

• peripheral vascular disease

• stroke

Other Complications

• infections

• impotence

• pregnancy complications

• foot problems

• skin problems"

Neuropathy is a nerveous system issue.

HBP is a cardiac issue.

How can the VA make that absurd statement? Easy-

they can fail to see what cardiac involvement or problems the veteran might have due to diabetes.

Then they can say the HBP is due to anything else and get away with it.

Been there- done that.

Their medical "rationale" here is absurd.

I think- by showing the SOC to your doctor- and explaining to him briefly- (I also suggest giving him a written statement too)

he could prepare an additional expanding opinion that supports that your EED should be earier then VA says it is.

The hyperlipedimia is a symptom and VA wont SC that condition-

but this symptom of one of many that involve diabetes.

The VA is saying that they are only aware of the heart attack itself and don't have medical evidence of your heart disease prior to that-and also since you initially filed the claim-

they need medical evidence to show that

prior to the heart attack- you had ratable heart disease.

This could be angina med prescriptions, ECHO report, EKGs etc-etc-- anything that shows that the heart disease

did not occur on the day of the heart attack but is medically documented prior to that date.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I called the VA office to let them know I wanted to ffile for an increase because of my heart surgery on the 2nd of April. They told me then that they would send me the paper work in 60 days. I thought that was bull! So I emailed them and they answered me back in the email was this a new claim or was this the same as the April 2nd claim and if so they would pass this info along.

Maybe I should not try and rush this but have you ever heard them say wait 60 days we will be sending you paper work and then you file for an increase?

Just a thought.

I think- by showing the SOC to your doctor- and explaining to him briefly- (I also suggest giving him a written statement too)

he could prepare an additional expanding opinion that supports that your EED should be earier then VA says it is.

The hyperlipedimia is a symptom and VA wont SC that condition-

but this symptom of one of many that involve diabetes.

The VA is saying that they are only aware of the heart attack itself and don't have medical evidence of your heart disease prior to that-and also since you initially filed the claim-

they need medical evidence to show that

prior to the heart attack- you had ratable heart disease.

This could be angina med prescriptions, ECHO report, EKGs etc-etc-- anything that shows that the heart disease

did not occur on the day of the heart attack but is medically documented prior to that date.