Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Denied

Rate this question

noelmc

Question

My husband I have been reading this board since Oct 7th (we joined Nov 06). And have learned so much information. We have followed the ideas and advice from here with some success and am grateful for all the wonderful people that dedicate so much of their time and energy to help other vets. Thank you.

My husband is a Vietnam Vet and when we were at friends funeral (he was a Vietnam Vetage 59) his widow informed us of the Va's benefits and encouraged us to file. Most importantly she brought us to Hadit.

My husband filed Oct 13th. We were notified on Feb.21 by his SO that he was awarded 60%.

20% Diabetes

20% neuropathy legs bil (10 for each)

20% neuropathy hands bil (10 for each)

10% tinnitus

special k award.

Was denied for heart, hypertension.

We requested a reconsideration because they did not look at his Insulin usage or regulation of activities.

We received a letter giving us the option of an appeal or a DRO.

March 29th we opted for the DRO.

April 17th we received a denial for his heart and htn but they did up his DM11 to 40%.

We are very grateful for this and can't believe how fast it has happened. We do believe this was because of the information you have on this board.

We are surprised and disappointed regarding the denial for the heart and htn. We are unsure of how to proceed to connect the heart and htn. We thought we had given them enough information to connect to the DM. The so has been helpful but we have provided him with a ton information gleaned from this board.

My husband could no longer do the work his job required so he was forced to retire early (5 years ago).

Our question is where do we go from here?

Thanks again for everything you do for so many.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did your husband apply also for TDIU (form 21-8940)?

He needs to do this immediatly if not sooner. He meets the threshold for IU. Once he gets it, then it is the same as being 100 percent.

Do you have his records? What were his BP readings in service?. What about his private doctor BP readings.

When was he diagnosed with HTN, Before or after the DMII. The reason I am asking is the fact that the VA likes to say that HTN was diagnosed before DMII.

John

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Ibasser-- Thank you for moving this post. My husband did not apply for TDIU because after reading this board we were under the impression that the VA automatically looked at every one who was rated at 70%. (we think his new rating is at 70 but there was nothing in the letter to let us know that.)

Terry-- thanks for the tip regarding the heart disease post from stillhere. We have very few medical records before Oct 1996, (we thought he was healthy) but what we do have his bp was 120/80. The c&p physician opined that his bp was out of control during the exam because his bp was 180/94. However he has white coat syndrome and this was an exception not the rule. I take his bp at home a few times a week and he is well controlled with meds. We did explain this to the c&p physician but he apparently did not listen.

Pete--We are unsure of the best way to get a medical opinion. Do we ask his physicians or bring information to an independent Dr.? Do we offer to pay for an opinion? and if so what is the going rate?

Berta--He did apply for SSA disability in Dec 2006 and was awarded in Feb. Still waiting for the backpay though. He had to quit work 5 years ago so he just made it under the wire for the five year rule. (which we again learned from this site) Again we owe a big thanks to everyone here for the info we used to fill out all the forms. We actually did it on line, received one phone call, and that was it. His heart is in bad shape so SSA found it cut and dried.

Medical rationale for denying his heart and htn as c&p dr. opined it was not from DM11. I don't think he read the training letter the VA put out. C&p dr. stated to us "do not mention heart problem or bp you will get a lot of money for Diabetes". I believe he should be rated at60% because he faxes his blood sugars to his endocrinologist at least 2-3 times per month and then the Dr. calls us with changes to his Insulin. I call these electronic visits but the DRO didn't agree. It was not mentioned in the SOC.

Diabetes and cardiomyopathy, were diagnosed in Oct 1996. The first documentation I can find for the htn is in spring of 1997.

Again a BIG THANK YOU.

Not sure why they would not connect the dots here with DB2 and heart disease. In my case I had to have a statement from my Cardio doc and went the DRO route and got the full award that I could get at that time. I am sc Diabetes 2, with secondary heart, with PN both legs and hypertension (although it is not rated and controlled by meds) I have just had another stent placement and putting in for a rate increase and asking for a rating on the hypertension. I can work but don't know for how much longer. Three years ago i was fine and maybe took a tylenol for pain but now wow I sure take a lot of pills. It really does come on you quick.

I would recommend you go back to your cardio doc and get a statement and I guess you can have your claim reopened due to new and material evidence. Also go to the web and find some statements of diabetes leading to heart disease, there are plenty.

Here is part of my cardio doc's statement " In summary ------ is a middle aged man with risk factors of diabetes melltius and hypertension who subsqently went on to have a mycardial infraction with cardic damage. There is no question that his risk factors contributed to the myocardial infraction. because of early coronary intervention and restoration of the cornoary blood flow, his susubsequent course has been relatively benign with a small to moderate sized scar but overall preservation of left ventricular systolic function.He is at risk for complications of recurrent myocardial infarction, symptomic ischemia, ventricular and atrial arthymias, and even sudden death. He is currently on a rigorous lifestyle and medication program with clinical cariovascular follow-up including exercise stress evaluation perodically."

HOPE THIS HELPS!

My husband I have been reading this board since Oct 7th (we joined Nov 06). And have learned so much information. We have followed the ideas and advice from here with some success and am grateful for all the wonderful people that dedicate so much of their time and energy to help other vets. Thank you.

My husband is a Vietnam Vet and when we were at friends funeral (he was a Vietnam Vetage 59) his widow informed us of the Va's benefits and encouraged us to file. Most importantly she brought us to Hadit.

My husband filed Oct 13th. We were notified on Feb.21 by his SO that he was awarded 60%.

20% Diabetes

20% neuropathy legs bil (10 for each)

20% neuropathy hands bil (10 for each)

10% tinnitus

special k award.

Was denied for heart, hypertension.

We requested a reconsideration because they did not look at his Insulin usage or regulation of activities.

We received a letter giving us the option of an appeal or a DRO.

March 29th we opted for the DRO.

April 17th we received a denial for his heart and htn but they did up his DM11 to 40%.

We are very grateful for this and can't believe how fast it has happened. We do believe this was because of the information you have on this board.

We are surprised and disappointed regarding the denial for the heart and htn. We are unsure of how to proceed to connect the heart and htn. We thought we had given them enough information to connect to the DM. The so has been helpful but we have provided him with a ton information gleaned from this board.

My husband could no longer do the work his job required so he was forced to retire early (5 years ago).

Our question is where do we go from here?

Thanks again for everything you do for so many.

• HadIt.com Elder

Noelmc:

Getting an outside Medical Opinion is not always easy but here are several ways that may be helpful. My first thought is does your husband have Social Security Disability. If he does a copy of the Social Security Award and a copy of their Exams should be a big help.

Dr Bash is well regarded on Hadit by many but he is expensive. You might consider calling a Social Security Lawyer and explaining that you need an Outside Medical Opinion for the VA and would they recommend a good Doc.

If you find a Doc remember it is important that you take Service Medical Records so the Doc can mention that they reviewed the records than he should give an opinion that shows a link to Service when the problem started, comments of treatment after service and a current diagnosis,

I know that when you see this it looks impossible but you can do it. Last resort is to beg your VA Doc to do it. Some of them will but they usually avoid it cause they are afraid that VA will yank their chains.

Good Luck

Dr Bash http://www.veteransmedadvisor.com/

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.