Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is The Va There To Help Vets With Their Claims?

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have read many hundreds or maybe thousands of BVA Claims and have yet to see where a VA Attorney was helpful to a Veteran. I wonder why this is. Isn't the purpose of the VA to help Veterans not be adversarial and yet that is the way it is.

Is there anyone on Hadit who believes that the VA tried to help them with their claim?

It seems to me that as we try to get the wounded Veteran back up and functioning the VA is missing an opportunity to lead rather than follow. For most of these Veterans it is not rocket science that shows they are needing help and plenty of it.

The VA should appoint free legal representation to any Veteran who has to stand before the BVA of CVA in my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

well of course there has to be a connection between your service and the disability claimed, whether they use the term nexus or not.

i have had several claims for disability compensation over the years, i have found the VA to be very helpful, very unhelpful, sometimes so compassionate it nearly brought tears to my eyes, sometimes intimidating, sometimes competent, sometimes incompetent.

like i've said before i think it just depends, i do not hold to the theory that the va is out to screw with every veteran, though i do believe that they have screwed a lot of veterans, sometimes on purpose, sometimes due to incompetence, sometimes with malice.

it just depends

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

I am glad to see Vike back too!!!!

Vike-I apologize for anything I said that might have caused you to leave-

maybe the SOC 30 day new reg----post?

I griped to the Management Director of the VA in DC who takes public comments on new proposed regs- with evidence of my position-I didnt want to argue here-

and hope you didnt take it that way-

I did not mean for any of that to offend you as you certainly give veterans excellent help here.

I am thrilled you are here again.

Vike never steers you wrong men and women-

and is meticulous in his advise.

Welcome again!!!!!!!!!

Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder
Just my 2-cents..... there is a big difference between the two:

* VA Treatment

* VA Claims

I have found the treatment to be highly acceptable (but, not perfect). On the claims side, the VA, even with C&Ps, will not help a Vet "proove" his claim. And, even with a VA diagnosis, there still must be a clear NEXUS. Unless there is shrapnel in the body, its hard for the Vet to proove the NEXUS with an outside opinion that affirms the possibility. If a Vet has a disability while in the service, then he may get a disability pension. But, in a compensation claim, its different.

No, the VA will not help you with the required NEXUS. No. Its up to the Vet to do that. And, if the required NEXUS is not apparent, the VA is quick to deny. ;)

1968 Army,

I sure am glad to see back and posting. You are on the right side of the tracks to winning your claim for Meniere. it will come. If I can assist you in any way, be sure to let me know.

Always,

Josephine

(Betty)

• HadIt.com Elder

Well maybe its perception or maybe I just have been exposed to a different VA. I did not find much help with my claim. No tips on how to make my claim stronger. Not a lot of encouragement along the way.

But that was 16 years ago and the VA is a lot different now. Lets see my VA shrinks would not write a medical opinion service connecting me when they would say to my face that I should be Service Connected. Of all the stuff I endured that still makes me angry.

I am sort of anticipating some nice changes with Lawyers jumping into the fray.

I apologize for the rant

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello Army,

It's good to see you post again as well. Welcome back.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

After being denied several times for hearing loss, accused of making false statements to a C&P examiner in order to defraud the government, making false statements concerning naval occupation in service in order to defraud the government, I was lucky enough to an"honest" evaluation by a VARO claims officer. This guy was actually competent enough to read english.

After reading what my DD214 says & the separation examination that showed hearing & vision loss during service in whats left of my SMR's, he decided at least a 0% should be granted. At this same hearing, my DAV SO at the time, filed for multiple issues after viewing my SMR's & the officer agreed, that these claims should be filed.

Since than, 1995 or 96' maybe, ALL favorable evidence has been ignored. SMR's, C&P's, MD opinions, IMO's from DR Bash, including anything that resembles a nexus.

ALL of my original service records are stored at the Seattle VARO, not the National Records Center.

What duty to assist is supposed be, & what a vet recieves, is like day & night.

Obstruction of Justice is a crime.