This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Fully Developed Cue
      "There are no in service treatment records of bipolar disorder.  My first hospitalization for it was 5 months after discharge." Sorry if I asked before but was that hospitalization at a VAMC?   "PTSD is the only way to service connection because of it being presumed."  "Direct SC for bipolar would be a hard fight indeed. " I sort of disagree. The chronic presumptives regs refer to psychosis but Bipolar unlike PTSD ( and anxiety disorder) might fall under those regs as a chronic presumptive.: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.309#a "Direct SC for bipolar would be a hard fight indeed. " I had a bipolar vet friend . No one ( he had the DAV) ever suggested that he obtain his Personnel records in addition to his SMRS. He finally followed some of my suggestions. I went over the 201 file carefully to see what he got a Captain's Mast for.And why they threw him into the brig. We took the research to his VA shrink and the shrink wrote up a brief IMO.This had been a long standing claim and was at the BVA. His retro was almost 1.4 of a million. We couldn't  use the chronic presumptives, because he did not file a VA claim for many years . He certainly didn't have PTSD. These are two different MH issues.    
    • Mental Health C&P
      Andyman, I'm sorry you have had such a rough time with your VA claims.  I saw your other post too and you have just been running up against issue after issue.  Hopefully, I will get lucky and my ratings will reflect my exams.  All of my exams went really well from what I could determine but after reading so many horror stories here I am trying to refrain from setting my expectations too high.  I feel like I am being lulled into a sense of comfort and safety and am going to be attacked any minute  LOL.  It just seems like it's all a crapshoot.
    • Fully Developed Cue
      I like it, but suggest one thing.  Judges are very full of their own ego.  Always ASK them, never tell them.  But use leading questions, to be sure.   I would not use the term "undebatable fact".  While I agree this is likely accurate, the judge wants to decide if its undebatable and not you.  (no offense meant).   Its OK to say, "The RO decision does not dispute....." Or,  "The RO decision dated xx-mm-yy has already conceded that...."    I try to never put my opinion in there.  If you read the VBM, they often "undersell".  They dont say things like its an absolute undebatable fact that...._____" ...because then the lawyer can say..oh yes we debate that so called fact.   But use their own words against them.  The RO decision stated, "xx yy, facts a, b, c".  However, Dr. S, stated on 11-14-08, " not a, not b, not c".  There fore, the decision was in error in that it was in conflict with the medical evidence.   Its just a suggestion.  

• Confused --- what am I covered for?
      Just my opinion but you can go to the VA rather or not you have private Insurance  they may ask you if you have private Insurance or not but you can still use the VA for medical treatment  As for as your % it don't matter if your 10% or 100% the medical part it does not matter what your rated they do have a small co-pay if your less than 30% I believe. However  only for Dental Treatment you need to be 100% if you have a myhealthvet account you can go to ebenefit's and check on your current ratings.
    • How does one continue ?
      Gastone the only thing about going to view your C&File  is how long it takes to go and read through every page. I viewed my C-file about 15 years ago at the Waco Tx RO...and they watched me like a hawk  made me nervous, every time I took out a page to read the guard as you will  came closer to see what page it was....it was nerve wracking and  kinda pissed me off. And after you read it they can make a copy but on that particular page I had it and didn't need a copy of that one...its just hard to view your C-File while they stand over you like he did with me. broncovet  good information from Att Chris Attig, but time is very important here, I think we will just file the claim without viewing the C-file If  he don't get it in time  before he has to file the ITF/ FDC Claim... it probably be denied...we were trying to prevent the NOD & Having to go to BVA....The reason for Requesting the  C-FILE over a year before filing.
    • Highly Perturbed Of C&P Exams
      Hey there pink kitty, sounds like your examiner was cut from the "deny Vets their just due benefits" cloth!  I've run into a few of them, and one was even a Vet himself! Semper Fi
    • DRO hearing
      " Did Dr Bash state any rationale in the IMO that should have warranted P & T for the 100%? " Yes he did. He explained that my condition would not get better but worse in many ways. He also explained and showed them proof of this with my 2nd EMG study I had which went from 1st EMG "Bilateral Radiculopathy" to 2nd EMG "Chronic Radiculopathy and now with Bilateral PolyNeuropathy". Yes my POA finally asked his supervisor and they both agreed with me in stating that this is in fact a CUE. What he is going to do is ask the Rater to CUE himself and I told him to at least try to make a deal with him about the P&T. The Rater told him the other day that if I did not get a new exam he would deny me no matter what. BS because this should have been rated back in 2013 whenever they decided on it in saying that it was no diagnosed. That was their reasoning. This is BS because Dr. Bash diagnosed it in 2012 only to have the VA in latter 2013 finally come out and say the bowel issues are related to my lumbar spine injury. That was pretty much it on their reasoning, nothing else. So this morning they did not have my hearing because the RO wants me to get a new C&P exam. Nope I refused and told my POA that this is a CUE and if the RATER doesn't want to admit its a CUE I will in fact appeal it straight to the BVA, no matter if I have to wait until 2018!!! I don't care I am not going to get low balled any longer, I've already let them low ball me on the ratings on my legs which I am still thinking about appealing.
    • C&P Exam Completed [Bad Vibe]
      My ebenefits says preparation for decision with a completion date of tomorrow the 27th. I feel that was very quick for a decision.  Anxiety has officially set in.
    • Mental Health C&P
      jlduty, Hmmm, your exam sounds like the nearly exact opposite of mine. Not only did my examiner come across as not interested in the real reason for the exam, he wanted me to tell my VA MH dr to refer me to a pill pusher, as he(the examiner)thought it would really help me.  I did not tell my doc that, since we had discussed that months earlier, and he said if he feels I need pills, he will refer me at that time.
    • Sleep Apnea Granted
      Something smells trollish...

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

acesup

Claim Closed, Waiting For Envelope Now

17 posts in this topic

According to the 800 number, my claim is closed and the letter is in the mail. As I figured, the rep wouldn't give me any clue as to whether or not it was favorable. There was something mentioned that makes me think one or more issues got deferred.

I guess I'll learn something soon, it surely won't be as long as it has been.

Got my fingers crossed and hoping for a good rating for you.

Good luck. I'm waiting for 2 large claims at the BVA myself that according to the ebenefits site a decision has been made and they are waiting dispatch. Hope the best for you.

According to the 800 number, my claim is closed and the letter is in the mail. As I figured, the rep wouldn't give me any clue as to whether or not it was favorable. There was something mentioned that makes me think one or more issues got deferred.

I guess I'll learn something soon, it surely won't be as long as it has been.

aces,

Just for kicks - try my backdoor way.

Call the 800 # and ask what is your current SC'd percentage,

sometimes it works.

aces,

Just for kicks - try my backdoor way.

Call the 800 # and ask what is your current SC'd percentage,

sometimes it works.

i do that to.

and also go to e-benefits and gen. a letter, show ing your new percentage.:biggrin:

I've not seen in the letter generator where I can generate the actual percentage. How do you do this??

I've not seen in the letter generator where I can generate the actual percentage. How do you do this??

It will only be there IF your VARO inputs one there. I have not had one show up, called the 800# about it, and they had me get in touch with the ebenefits website people...... The ebenefits people told me that it is the responsibility of the VARO to input that information. I called the 800# back, told them what the ebenefits people told me, and was asked if I wanted them to mail me out that information... round and round we go!

I can tell you.... though I've been 100% P&T TDIU since 1993, whenever the VAMC or clinic looks at their screens, they only show 90% combined. I've had to show my DOD card to "prove" I'm 100! I want to SEE my ratings on ebenefits, but can't get them to post it. Good luck to you!

Thanks, I'll see if i can request it in person while I'm there next week.

If the information have been updated, then the letter generator will show you your percentage. Click on the one as if you need the letter for proof and see what that letter says. It should show you your percentage and effective date.

There is at least tow letters that should show you what you need.:mellow:

I would be happy if they would just move mine out of the "Development" stage after being there for over a year.

Papa

The letter will tell you what your current disability is and the amount. Also today's date will automatically will be generated on the letter. A few Vets were able to see this once there claim read closed, showed them the current updated disability and monthly payment amount.

Even ebenefits still leaves alot to be desired : - )

If the information have been updated, then the letter generator will show you your percentage. Click on the one as if you need the letter for proof and see what that letter says. It should show you your percentage and effective date.

There is at least tow letters that should show you what you need.:mellow:

Thanks! I'll try it.

Even ebenefits still leaves alot to be desired : - )

I agree. Just being able to see current data re: claims, appeals, etc. would be such a help in reducing anxiety about what to expect and when to expect it. Heck, even the IRS can give you at least a rough estimate of your return. It would be great to at least have an RSS feed available when the status of your claim/appeal changes. So much could be done that's available on other more secure and complex sites. Seems to me they could simply partner with another organization for design, data links, etc. Then again, we wouldn't be the government if we didn't keep everything to ourselves - including innovation. Just my 2₵...

Well one week after getting a notification from the DAV my status on ebenifits has changed to notification. For the last week I only had one letter available in the letter generator and all it tells me is my dates of service

Yes, I did not want to rain on anyone's parade, but my ebenefits has said my claim is "closed" for about 8 months, and I think it is no where near even close, as I just got my claim "Certified" by the BVA, so I am thinking maybe year 2012...I really do not expect anything this year.

Yes, I did hear one person who posted that their ebenenefits said "closed" and then got a decision within a month or so.

Like so, so many other things, RO's are not consistent with ebenefits, as WAC pointed out. One RO has em enter it into ebenefits right away...the others may do it in a few weeks, while others may not bother at all.

While I can certainly appreciate waiting with "baited breath" on the magic envelope...after as many disappointments as I have gone through, I make a conscious effort not to "micromanage" where my claim is at. It is where it is, and the pot will boil when it gets hot enough.

Find something you love to do as an alternative. I know you have things you want to buy...and I am sure you have VERY good reasons why you want (and need!) the money now.

Looking back on it tho...even tho I did NOT get my money in time to prevent foreclosure...and I lost my home waiting on VA benefits, I did manage by the hair of my chinney chin chin to avoid not having a roof over my head. I was homeless but was able to find shelter and not live on the street.

In the bigger scheme of things...five years from now it wont make much difference whether you get it tommorrow,

next week, in six months, or have to appeal again and it takes 4 more years.

Use this time to make improvements to your person. I know I have a long ways to go..but I bet there are some things you would like to get better at, too. You know, like being a better spouse..or parent..or friend..

Yes, I did not want to rain on anyone's parade, but my ebenefits has said my claim is "closed" for about 8 months, and I think it is no where near even close, as I just got my claim "Certified" by the BVA, so I am thinking maybe year 2012...I really do not expect anything this year.

Yes, I did hear one person who posted that their ebenenefits said "closed" and then got a decision within a month or so.

Like so, so many other things, RO's are not consistent with ebenefits, as WAC pointed out. One RO has em enter it into ebenefits right away...the others may do it in a few weeks, while others may not bother at all.

While I can certainly appreciate waiting with "baited breath" on the magic envelope...after as many disappointments as I have gone through, I make a conscious effort not to "micromanage" where my claim is at. It is where it is, and the pot will boil when it gets hot enough.

Find something you love to do as an alternative. I know you have things you want to buy...and I am sure you have VERY good reasons why you want (and need!) the money now.

Looking back on it tho...even tho I did NOT get my money in time to prevent foreclosure...and I lost my home waiting on VA benefits, I did manage by the hair of my chinney chin chin to avoid not having a roof over my head. I was homeless but was able to find shelter and not live on the street.

In the bigger scheme of things...five years from now it wont make much difference whether you get it tommorrow,

next week, in six months, or have to appeal again and it takes 4 more years.

Use this time to make improvements to your person. I know I have a long ways to go..but I bet there are some things you would like to get better at, too. You know, like being a better spouse..or parent..or friend..

That was an outstanding post. Puts things in a different prospective as I keep expecting something to happen. Oh well-I guess I'll go walk the dog-a new hobby to take my mind off this waiting game:rolleyes: