• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kenvan19

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Oh, no, it is not a waste of time!!!  I started with a 10% rating in 1973 for "Nervous Condition" and now I have TDIU and Housebound.  All claims together bring me $3500 a month tax free.  You may be young now, but if PTSD gets worse it could totally disable you and can cause other secondary conditions.   FILE THE CLAIM!  If you get 10% or 30% that gets your foot in the door and never let them get that foot out of the door by neglecting to respond to C&P exams or ignoring to file NOD or other appeals.
    • I would think BVA would remand back to VARO because they are the ones that made the bad decision.  I could be wrong on this.  I also think you could go to Vet Court on this but then you probably should hire lawyer who will get some of your retro if you get any on remanded issues.  You don't want your TDIU claim to languish some place in VA system.  Did you submit evidence that you could not work solely due to SC conditions?  I have heard that AMC is a black hole where claims go to remain in limbo for years. I have never had a claim at AMC.  These are all diversions dreamed up by the VA to stall your claim. What rating did you get?
    • Send NOD by express mail with return receipt.  If you do not file NOD you will lose your EED and have to start from scratch.  If you let NOD deadline pass you are lost.  You must be willing to play by VA deadlines and get your own medical evidence. How much time do you have left to file NOD? If you have to file generic NOD to meet deadline then do it. If the only evidence you have is VA evidence expect to be low balled or denied about 80% of the time.  You need to develop your claims on appeal. This will take time but you have lost years already by not appealing via NOD.  Not scolding you but stating facts. I failed to file a NOD and it cost me tens of thousands of dollars over 25 years.                  John
    • This makes me wish I knew the importance of EED's. I'm pondering CUE's for a few things myself.
    • I heard great things about Ellis Clinic from Federal Worker's Compensation people.   The thing is you have to go to them which means getting all your records and going to Oklahoma City.  If I wanted an opinion from Ellis Clinic would I have to pack up all my SMR's,  VA and private medical records to see them?  I never used them because I had very good doctors I had been seeing here in Tampa and they referred me to other doctors for friendly IME.  This was because I was in treatment for MH stuff for years by private doctor.  I am being treated for DMII and OSA by the VA and by private doctor.  However, none of them will go out on a limb and say the DMII or MH issues was secondary cause of OSA.  This is what I need for my OSA potential claim.   I also have High Blood but VA will not opine that it is cause or effect of DMII or CAD due to AO.   I have not worried about it because I have TDIU and HB.  I would like to get the High Blood and the OSA SC'ed but am not willing to pay $5000.  I would fly out to Ellis Clinic I think.  I first heard of Ellis Clinic from OWCP claimant who got what they call Schedule Award (cash) for injuries to his hands and feet.  Much more than I got because my doctor would not stick his neck out one inch but did say some injuries I have were work-related when I worked for USPS.  This did create problems for me later with conflicts between VA and OWCP.   That would fill a book. When you get benefits from various programs it always has potential for problems as causes get intertwined and programs point finger at other programs to pay for the damage.  The thing is most of us need at least SSD and VA to pay 100% to actually survive.  $3000 a month from VA is not enough to support a family where I live.  $5000 will do it if you have no debts.

judymb711

Purple Heart For Ptsd

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am the daughter of a deceased WWI vet. I have been trying for 30 years to obtain the Purple Heart for injuries he sustained as a POW. I have been continually turned down because I cannot produce a doctors statement of injuries. Well, I don't think he was treated by a Nazi doctor. I have produced everything else, including witness statements, but no luck, in fact they told me not to bother to reapply. I thought I remembered reading that they had changed the criteria for awarding the medal to veterans with PTSD just this September, but I cannot find a definitive answer after 3 days of searching. I have a paper that states he was declared 30% disabled due to a "nervous condition" and I have a psychiatrist report that describes him post-war as being nervous, pacing, cannot be in a confined space, cannot ride in a car without driving himself, etc. Can anyone tell me if they did change the criteria to include PTSD for the Purple Heart or not?

There are special rules for POW's. You should do some research on that. I don't think they give PH's for non-combat injuries. It is getting more and more confusing since they give PH's for TBI I believe.

No Purple Heart for PTSD, not going to happen and I don't know why it keeps coming up. BTW I have PTSD & would never think about a Purple Heart for PTSD. TBI is the latest thing I remember for Purple Heart.

Have you checked records similar to a DD-214? A DAV rep pointed out years ago that my deceased husband from Vietnam era had medals awarded, but not received. Could he have had awards before being a POW? I am guessing that you might mean WWII instead of WWI.

Judymb

Welcome to Hadit and thank you for helping a Veteran. I do believe that our government does have spcial things for POW's.

Prisoner of War Medal

the father may very well be a WW1 veteran my own father completed his Army service before WW1 even started he went into Mexico with Gen Pershing after Pancho Villa I have a younger brother also who was born in 1958 my oldest half brother was born in 1922 and is deceased my dad died in 1972 my grand father was in the Calif 4th Volunteers during the Civil War he did not get married until 1890 and then had 6 kids by 1900