• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ElderMac

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Do you know why they would retro me 1200 and then pay me my previous award amount this month. I checked my account and I have a pending deposit for the same amount I was when I was 90%. Trying to make sense out of this all.
    • Great News,,,,it's always nice to see a Vet Win and thanks for sharing the wonderful news....nothing comes easy and from what  I've heard and seen, the SSI Battle usually requires an attorney and even then success takes a lot of perseverance and drive...   Good Luck and Godspeed...Rootbeer22
    • Folks: C-File Experience Update.....Despite all of my emails, letters to senior VA officials, phone calls, filling out new forms and etc over the last year.  The only thing that worked for me  was old fashioned time and waiting? After almost 300 days of waiting, I was informed this morning that my C-file is on the way to me via CD and USPS? Of course, last month, I had to file my first NOD without he benefit of reviewing the C-File which I believe put me at a big disadvantage.  But, I keep feeding new evidence into the NOD so the extended review/DE novo timeline may help me inn the long run? The NPRC in St Louis says that they currently have an over 80,000 C-File request backlog and are working 2 full shifts of 25 people to get it done. As we do the math, it's clear that it may eventually get a little better but as long as the requests keep coming in at this rate, it's going to be a long wait for everyone. It would be nice if the smc were  just linked it directly to MyVet Blue button, but I imagine that may be a security nightmare/ On the other hand, it's no different than the information that is already displayed on Bluebutton anyway if a vet is part of that system...? Anyway, I'm learning to be much more patient these days and maybe it's because I'm getting older....   Godspeed  Rootbeer22
    • Thank you I promise to keep you all posted. 
    • In my heyday, if someone told me I couldn't get there from here, I took that as a personal challenge that demanded that I try to prove them wrong. That's exactly how I got my computer and greenhouse on appeal. I read here often that a VRC said "Ain't gonna happen". Do you believe that? You're talking to a gomer GS-11 with no authority. They are spouting the party line and M28 R.  Let me explain. M28 is a manual-not a rulebook. It is a guide on how to interpret Chapter 21, 38 CFR. The law was laid down by Congress in 1982 in 38 USC 3120. There are 2,700 souls who are extremely disabled who entitled to ILP services every year. There is no limit on how many ILP you can have in a lifetime. Congress did not rule out greenhouses, woodworking shops or riding lawnmowers-VA's VR&E did-with no authority, I might add. This is a decision to curtail "freebies" to us that they think we do not deserve. You will find no law that says we are forbidden to get anything avocational. If you just roll over and accept what they say, you become another victim.  When they told me I was never going to get a computer to use for Asknod.org, I filed an administrative appeal. Six months later, I had a state-of-the-art Dell with all the bells and whistles and a teacher for 2 months. I call this the Win or Die technique. Never give up. Eventually, they have to deal with you or they have to go to the BVA/ CAVC and explain to them why you don't get a woodworking shop. Sorry. The M 28 does not trump the BVA  or the CAVC judge. I've proved that in spades. Follow the Yellow Brick Road.This isn't rocket science. Never accept no for an answer. ILP laws and regs were written to help us-not hinder.  https://asknod.org/category/independent-living-program/

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so.

judymb711

Purple Heart For Ptsd

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am the daughter of a deceased WWI vet. I have been trying for 30 years to obtain the Purple Heart for injuries he sustained as a POW. I have been continually turned down because I cannot produce a doctors statement of injuries. Well, I don't think he was treated by a Nazi doctor. I have produced everything else, including witness statements, but no luck, in fact they told me not to bother to reapply. I thought I remembered reading that they had changed the criteria for awarding the medal to veterans with PTSD just this September, but I cannot find a definitive answer after 3 days of searching. I have a paper that states he was declared 30% disabled due to a "nervous condition" and I have a psychiatrist report that describes him post-war as being nervous, pacing, cannot be in a confined space, cannot ride in a car without driving himself, etc. Can anyone tell me if they did change the criteria to include PTSD for the Purple Heart or not?

There are special rules for POW's. You should do some research on that. I don't think they give PH's for non-combat injuries. It is getting more and more confusing since they give PH's for TBI I believe.

No Purple Heart for PTSD, not going to happen and I don't know why it keeps coming up. BTW I have PTSD & would never think about a Purple Heart for PTSD. TBI is the latest thing I remember for Purple Heart.

Have you checked records similar to a DD-214? A DAV rep pointed out years ago that my deceased husband from Vietnam era had medals awarded, but not received. Could he have had awards before being a POW? I am guessing that you might mean WWII instead of WWI.

Judymb

Welcome to Hadit and thank you for helping a Veteran. I do believe that our government does have spcial things for POW's.

Prisoner of War Medal

the father may very well be a WW1 veteran my own father completed his Army service before WW1 even started he went into Mexico with Gen Pershing after Pancho Villa I have a younger brother also who was born in 1958 my oldest half brother was born in 1922 and is deceased my dad died in 1972 my grand father was in the Calif 4th Volunteers during the Civil War he did not get married until 1890 and then had 6 kids by 1900