VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Ptsd?

Rate this question

AFMedic09

Question

You can find the exact verbage under the "Success" forum. However, my question is this: I was denied for PTSD/depression due to no evidence of current disability. Not sc, no 0% under what they decided on. BUT on another page it says I am sc'd for adjustment disorder with depressed mood for purposes of treatment as I was diagnosed with PTSD/depression in 2001. (joined in 1999) I have never seen any diagnosis of adjustment d/o in my medical records so this must be something the c&p dr said. However, what does this mean? I have not even a 0% rating in my paperwork for this - but I can be seen for it? They gave it to me based on my C&P but denied my claim? Can anyone shine light on what their thinking is and what this means? Should I NOD? I haven't been seen except once since separating, just trying to handle life on my own. I know I need medication- this process is proof of that. I just don't understand what it means? Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sounds like treatments for medical purposes only. Not an sc condition. This is a new thing for gulf war vets who need treatment for mental issues even if cant be seen for anything else. Don't quote me on it. Read the rating decision and see if it says for medical treatment only

Edited by T8r

If you're truly suffering from PTSD get treatment asap. Find out what your treating doctors are calling it if not PTSD. Work on your stressor letter and gather evidence. You should start PTSD treatment then file NOD.

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems to me the VA is saying you do not have a current DX of PTSD or Depression because the VA can't find any current evidence of your having it. Read up on symptoms of PTSD and see if what you told the VA matches those symptoms. If you told them that every time you hear a loud noise you flashback to combat then the VA is just trying to play a game with you. Do you have any combat medals or badges? You need the stressors and you need the current symptoms. The stressors have been relaxed but what you get is the kind of crap you got with the VA pretending they don't see symptoms.

John

It isn't just VA doctors but all doctors. They're funny on what they call your condition. Some might call it PTSD, anxiety, schizophrenia, or some other condition.

Do an online quiz to see if you have PTSD. Take that to your mental health doctor and say, "see this test? I think I have PTSD." You have to remember it is important to get the correct diagnoses. PTSD or not your number one goal should be treatment. Hang in there.

I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression in the military. Was on Prozac and went through years of therapy sessions. Since separating I have had to work full time, and over time as the economy is terrible & my ex doesn't pay child support so it's all on me. I am goint to start therapy again. Having more frequent bad days. I told the C&P dr. that I can't sit with my back to the door, I have had panic attacks due to boxes on side of road (WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!?!!!) etc. The letter says they see where I was diagnosed with PTSD in the military, but that basically since I'm not being treated currently they wont SC. Not even 0%? But they sc'd for purposes of treatment. I don't know. I am going to start seeing a psych. and start complaining instead of carrying all of this around in me..my family will appreciate it. and then I will NOD. I just don't know why they didn't give me 0%. THey gave me 0% for restless leg syndrome, and I'm not being treated for that currently. (makes no sense what they sc'd and what they didn't) I was in therapy for YEARS. I have a combat ribbon. My diagnosis throughout treatment was PTSD & depression.

You can find the exact verbage under the "Success" forum.

AF - Below is what you posted over in the Success forum.

"Service connectsion for adjustment disorder with depressed mood for the purpose of establishing eligibility to treatment.

A determination of service connection under 38 U.S.C. 1702 is for the purpose of providing eligibility for hospital and medical treatments for veterans of WWII, Korean Conflict, or Vietnam era: or for Gulf War veterans who develop an active psychosis or any active mental illness during or within two years from the daate of separation from such service or within two years of the end of the war period, whichever is earlier. The veteran was discharged on November 16, 2009. A psychosis/mental illness was first diagnosed on March 6, 2001 while you were on active uty. Entitlement to treatment is established because a psychosis/mental illness was diagnosed within the required period of time. Service connection for the purpose of establishing eligibility to treatment is established."

However, my question is this: I was denied for PTSD/depression due to no evidence of current disability.

AF - The above does not even specifically address an anxiety (PTSD) or mood disorder (MDD).

It only states a "psychosis/mental illness".

So far, from what I've read posted, you have not received a decision denying "PTSD/depression"

Please, get your rating decision and post exact what is on it, that pertains to mental health under:

ISSUES

EVIDENCE

REASONS

Not sc, no 0% under what they decided on.

BUT on another page it says I am sc'd for adjustment disorder with depressed mood for purposes of treatment

as I was diagnosed with PTSD/depression in 2001. (joined in 1999)

AF - Post exactly what is stated on the decision.

Another thing to keep in mind (this is the way I see it) -

they have SC'd a mental health condition (other than eating disorder) for

"the purpose of establishing eligibility to treatment".

Again, PTSD has not been denied BUT at this point I don't even see where you really need to argue

for PTSD.

To me - the objective goal is to get SC'd for a mental health disorder( if you have one that is

related to active duty) and receive your benefits of medical treatment and compensation for it.

I have taken on the mind set of - it does not matter if they grant under PTSD / MDD / Panic Disorder /

etc ...

They have already stated that:

"A psychosis/mental illness was first diagnosed on March 6, 2001 while you were on active uty".

IMO - this will need to be developed more and it's real important to see exactly everything

the decision states about it.

I have never seen any diagnosis of adjustment d/o in my medical records so this must be something the c&p dr said.

However, what does this mean?

AF - If your C&P was done at a VAMC - go there to Release Of Information (ROI) and get a

copy of the C&P, in fact get copies of all the C&P's you've had while waiting on this decision.

I have not even a 0% rating in my paperwork for this - but I can be seen for it?

They gave it to me based on my C&P but denied my claim?

Can anyone shine light on what their thinking is and what this means?

Should I NOD? I haven't been seen except once since separating, just trying to handle life on my own.

I know I need medication- this process is proof of that.

AF - I would not do anything further until you can post the answers and members can help out on this.

What I would do is start making some VAMC appointments for mental health care (and medications if needed)

ASAP.

JMHO - carlie