• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SgtDan_USAF

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • This is a must listen. Dr Cantrell is a very good advocate for all things PTSD .     http://www.blogtalkradio.com/haditcom/2016/08/26/bridget-c-cantrell-phd-is-an-award-winning-post-traumatic-stress-expert
    • I agree with J basser, If you were rated 90% IU  getting paid at the 100%  and also 70% for Depression =Meets the Criteria for SMC-S 1 Or if your were IU & Later got 70% Depression They should have gave you the statutory SMC-S- 1 H.B. Depression is a mental rating!  So it would be separate. jmo ........................Buck
    • Housebound is covered by the SMC level of S. Now SMC S can be achieved two ways. The first way is to be physically housebound. (A Doc must say you are) The second way to get it is to have a disability rated as Total and Have another or combination of disabilities totaling 60 percent. That is called Statutory Housebound.  Don't get confuses as the Regs say the word total and the VA likes to use the 100 percent issue but if you have IU for  a single condition and have another rating of 60 percent either single of combined, you should be OK.
    • Mine says about the same, 2018-2019.  I submitted several months before yours.  Complete BS!  I tried in person, and they said my file is "too big" to just print out for me.  Meanwhile, I have several contentions which will hit the one year mark since the decision in just a couple months.  How can I/we argue what they decided without knowing what they used to make the decision? 
    • I am a bit confused about the qualifications on this particular item.   I have read .. hell I can not even explain it as really because it confuses me that much so I am just going to be blunt.. would I qualify for consideration for housebound?  I stay at home most of the time as I am tired most of the time(sleep apnea)/spinal stenosis (which increases tremendously when I travel)/radiculopathy down both legs and anxiety issues. My fiance' does most of the chores around the house.  She would take me to VA appointments because I get easily distracted (because of pain) and basically easily upset when I drive, but she of course works so she can not. I have a total rating of 90% with TDIU 100% 70% for depression and the rest of my issues are various ranging from 30%'s/20%'s and a 10%.

Inthewind

Does Anyone Have Any Idea What Development Letter Sent Means?

Question

My claim was closed yesterday and in eBenefits in updates it says:

Appeal is Possible

Decision Notification Sent

Development Letter Sent <------ Does anyone know what this letter is included for? What it may say, or it's purpose?

I've done some searching on HADIT but every mention is just text copy pasted into a paragraph not Germaine to asking what the letter means/says.

So, if anyone has one, or has recently seen one I'd be greatful if you could post a small brief explanation.

I went from 50% to 100% P&T.

Thanks!

23 answers to this question

Yep, the development letter explains in detail what evidence they considered to arive at the decisions. It's like a long version of the Decision Letter (which somes it all up and gives you disability percentages, payment start dates, ect.). If already a 50% look at your first award package and you can see the difference.

Strange that E Benefits thing!

Anyway, the development letters sent to me were not much more than acknowledgement of the claim(s),

and a generic "we need all the evidence", even when they already had it.

There was no way to know if they really wanted/needed a specific piece of evidence from the letter.

There also may be a clause that says you may elect to tell them to adjucate the claim with the evidence on hand.

So basically, I went from 50 to 100% and they didn't use everything in my claim to get there and there's still issues they haven't completely adjudicated yet? So they may be asking for additional information to complete them?

Weird.

1 person likes this

Actually, what it may mean is that when they were rating your claim they noticed a development letter had not been sent (did you receive one?). They send it out so that they can say a development letter had been sent as part of processing your claim. My guess is it is a checklist item that they discovered they had not done, and they didn't hold your claim up waiting for a response since your decision was clearly favorable.

Just my guess as to what is going on.

Best regards,

So basically, I went from 50 to 100% and they didn't use everything in my claim to get there and there's still issues they haven't completely adjudicated yet? So they may be asking for additional information to complete them?

Weird.

It's really hard to tell. Once they award 100%, any sense of urgency seems to be lost. I've heard remarks that were basically

Well, you were awarded 100%, what else do you want? (Ignoring the possibility that SMC, A&A, etc. might also be appropriate.

The famous one is the VA's reluctance to award or even consider TDIU, unless a veteran specifically claims it.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in TDIU because I'm working, it's keeping me busy, and it hasn't become an issue yet. I'll go down that road if/when the need arises. Thanks to all for the comments.