VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Living

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

My Vocational Rehab counselor has put me in the Independent living program. I was given a letter entitled"Subject:Disability Determination of case rated 100% and found Not Reasonable Feasible for Vocational Rehabilitation.

In the letter it was stated the following-

The case of the above -name veteran is forwarded for your attention because of a determination of being found not reasonably feasible for rehabilitation services.

This veteran has a 80% SCD rating based upon 60% heart issues, 30% foot issues, 20% lumosacral strain, 10% hypertension, 0% cervical strain(fusion), 0% bilateral hearing loss, and other issues. He also has secondary chronic pain and radiculopathy issues.

The Veterans SCD heart/hypertension and orthopedic issues-significant heart issues, severe foot issues, lower back, and neck issues impact his ability to walk,stand, bend, stoop, carry, lift and has difficulties doing home activities. Due to the neck issues and fusion of C6-C7 , he has limited range of motion and has radiculopathy down both arms and hands. This impacts his ability to grip, do repetitive motion, type, and do other activities. HE worked in a call center for 5 years and had multiple accommodations; however, due to his chronic neck and back issues as well as the fatigue related to his heart issues, he could no longer do sedentary work.

Veterans tinnitus and hearing loss also impacted his ability to work as he cannot work in a loud, noisy environments, or do a lot of telephone work, which he h ad to do in the call center. In addition he got frustrated easily as he could not hear people well and could not understand the conversations, this made mistakes on cases.

When reviewed individually, each of his issues, Heart issues/hypertension, Tinnitus/hearing loss, neck/cervical issues with radiculopathy, lower back issues, foot issues, would not prevent him from working in a sedentary supportive environment with accommodations, however, due to the combined effects and complexity of his disability issues along with the secondary chronic pain, fatigue, and related focus/memory issues, he is not able to return to work in any setting.

It is unlikely that he will be able to return to work for at least several years, if ever, due to the severity and progressive nature of his disability issues. Further training would not render the veteran employable. In addition, this VRC determined, given his history, that returning to work and/or school anytime in the near future could exacerbate his health issues.

This VRC recommends that he be granted 100% for Individual Unemployability(IU)

He has been referred to SSA for SSDI. This VRC recommends that he be granted SSDI.

VR&E is working with the veteran under an independent Living Plan to assist him with maintaining his independence at home and in the community.

With this letter which I already faxed to the claims dept as my claim is still pending decision. will this given me a good shot at 100%. I have been told it is 1 VA dept telling another to give it to him. Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Cool Breeze: With that "Piece of Gold" and earned income below the US Poverty Limit for 1 person (about $12K) you should be a lock. If you haven't already done so, file a IU FDC Claim online NOW! Scan a copy of "The Letter" to PDF and attach it to the FDC Claim. Within 5 mos or so, you should have an award with retro possibly back to 1 yr prior to filing the IU FDC Claim.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

Is the Independent living going to send out someone to evaluate your needs.

I got the money to pay for remodel of my bathroom and tempurpedic bed. They also recommended new a/c system but that fell through the cracks.

Question,

I am in VOC rehab, i am at 70% total, 50% is for Migraines. I informed my VOC rehab counselor that i could not continue my college after being in the program for 2 1/2 years and She said she would write a letter to me for VA since i filed for IU. Well after 6 weeks of back and forth i am now confused. My IU claim was denied based on Nero Doc stating Medz helped with headache pain.. .lie! The letter from counselor did not come in time as she went from the ill write you a letter la d da... to i have to check with supervisor, to.. you must be screened for Independent living.. so i am in disbelief also .. i think she is not going to write anything.

Finally her Supervisor called me to explain Independant Living program and how it is part of Voc rehab.. she asked me if i wanted to be discharged or if i wanted to do eval for ILP, i asked if a letter of support would be generated upon discharge of College due to medical reason and she said, if you are in the program there is no discharge and no letter, basically it's either yes or no to program and ILP does not generate a letter to help in the case of IU is how i understand it.

So the Councilor originally said she would discharge me based on medical conditions, i am wondering if she would just give me a simple discharge from VOC rehab because i don't want which would be counter productive to my case.

I here so many stories of how Vets get a voc rehab to write a letter similar to your's but how and why am i going through all this confusion.. what is correct.. my IU got denied anyway but if the councilor would keep up on her word and saying of what she would write that's a plus.. please help someone..