VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nehmer 2015

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am not allowed to copy much from the VBM by NVLSP due to copywrite laws. But I sure dont think they would mind if I do state this excerpt from the new VBM:

"Due to limitations in it's database search capability,the VA has not identified all of the cases it is required to review pursuant to the Nehmer Court Orders."

What that means, and Chuck here as well as John999 and others have made this point too. that AO is far from over.

The new 2015 VBM also lists about 36 disabilities to include some involving children of Vietnam veterans that have a 'most likely' potential to be presumptive to AO in the future.

This is why any Vietnam vet claiming disability due to Vietnam service should also raise the potential of Agent Orange exposure as additional possible cause of their disability.

The quote I posted above means to me.......unless all Vietnam vets or their survivors get up to speed on the AO presumptives, (and we all might know Vietnam vets who might be vets VA has not identified , who could be potentially due retro comp due to Nehmer, they need to file the claim themselves.

Many of us consider ourselves to be veteran "advocates" and the VBM is always dedicated to us.

I wonder how many advocates here are purchasing and using the VBM by NVLSP in order to give advise based on updated regulations,court cases, etc etc as well as the updated claims info in it.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi Berta,
Thank you very much for this information. My father is a Vietnam vet and I am in the process of preparing to file additional claims for him. Currently, he does not fall perfectly into the list of presumptives on the VA AO web page, but we are exploring other options related to TBI/head injury and gastro issues.

The VA AO web page only lists about 16 presumptive conditions, but your post indicates the new 2015 VBM lists about 36. Were there more added?

Berta,

As far as I know only spina bifida is officially recognized in kids of male Nam Vets.  Kids of female Vets of same have quite a few more covered.  I currently have a claim in for that, been sitting in limbo since July.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Ms Berta,

I Hope they give out theses most likely potential presumptive  new 36 AO Disabilities   soon!

Some disability's have came up on me  that are not AO Presumptive  or on the present list, although the VAMC is treating me for them.

I hope they get the eligibility worked out for blue water navy vets,  it should be for any veteran that put  his boots on the ground in the RVN...Even just one boot.

jmo

..............Buck

Vync , The 36 additional conditions are most of the same ones that research has been done on for years.

VA rests heavily of what the IOM (Institute of Medicine ) determines as to suggesting specific conditions that they believe , by medical evidence and research ,can be  attributed to AO exposure.

There are no New AO presumptives but many of us never dreamed we would see IHD, Parkinsons, AND Hairy Cell B on the AO presumptive list in our lifetimes.

I guess my point was that every in country Vietnam vet should make sure the VA gives them a disability rating even on NSC conditions, because if that specific disability ever goes on the presumptive list, it makes it easier for them to get any retro due them under Nehmer, via footnote One....

When my husband and I were in the AO settlement fund long ago, only Chloracne and Peripheral Neuropathy were on the AO presumptive list. And that was the entire list!And it was difficult for Vietnam vets to prove they had those  conditions.

The criteria for PN in those days was ridiculous.

Now it can often be sced to AO DMII as secondary.

The new VBM also has all of the complications and secondary conditions that can arise from DMII. I have posted that info here many times over the years.

Unfortunately the lack of medical expertise and competence of C & P doctors has forced many vets to get IMOs for obvious DMII secondarys...... that should be no brainer awards.

Vync , The 36 additional conditions are most of the same ones that research has been done on for years.

VA rests heavily of what the IOM (Institute of Medicine ) determines as to suggesting specific conditions that they believe , by medical evidence and research ,can be  attributed to AO exposure.

There are no New AO presumptives but many of us never dreamed we would see IHD, Parkinsons, AND Hairy Cell B on the AO presumptive list in our lifetimes.

I guess my point was that every in country Vietnam vet should make sure the VA gives them a disability rating even on NSC conditions, because if that specific disability ever goes on the presumptive list, it makes it easier for them to get any retro due them under Nehmer, via footnote One....

When my husband and I were in the AO settlement fund long ago, only Chloracne and Peripheral Neuropathy were on the AO presumptive list. And that was the entire list!And it was difficult for Vietnam vets to prove they had those  conditions.

The criteria for PN in those days was ridiculous.

Now it can often be sced to AO DMII as secondary.

The new VBM also has all of the complications and secondary conditions that can arise from DMII. I have posted that info here many times over the years.

Unfortunately the lack of medical expertise and competence of C & P doctors has forced many vets to get IMOs for obvious DMII secondarys......claims  that should be no brainer awards.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Berta,
I appreciate the additional information. I will have to check his records, but I recall my father being SC at 0% for a heart condition. I don't think he has Parkinson's, but they are still doing tests on him. I'll probably open a separate topic to ask questions about his conditions.

Thanks!