VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1600 AO Claims Missed by Contractor, WTF!

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

I wasn't aware the VA used outside Contractors, to review Comp Claims Applications for possible AO exposure. They were paid $300/350 depending on thickness of C-File. They allegedly had very little AO training and quite often spent only a few minutes reviewing each file. Apparently at least 1600 AO Associated Claims were missed and not referred for Nehmer expediting.

We learn something new everyday.

Agent Orange benefit screening process scrutinized in Congress _ McClatchy DC.htm

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

And why should this surprise anyone?

For years after the Entrance Exam showing Vietnam service, and various other problems, the VA Failed to add my name to the Nehmer list.

It took the class action lawyers to make that happen. (And that was after one claim had already been approved as an A.O. preumptive.

Veterans can depend on the same old thing- if there is a way to screw things up, it's more likely than not that the VA and it's minions will.

Just to add further insult, the problems have been known for decades, and were generally ignored. (They cost too much to fix, don't you know!)

Edited by Chuck75

Yeah...I wasn't on the Nehmer list either and have another potential CUE I am working on , a CUE on their AO Nehmer IHD award.

The IHD was never properly diagnosed or treated in my husband's lifetime,but the FTCA settlement and a 2004 CUE I had filed ,meant they had to finally rate and award it.

Somehow they determined that when my husband first presented heart disease (this evidence was all in his VA Med Recs) they determined his IHD was 50% disabling back to 1988. And then up until he died, with IHD as the prime cause of death, in 1994.

Subsequent records I found warranted a higher rating than the 50%, and with no treatment whatsoever ,at 50%, it certainly became 100% because it killed him. I only recall the award says that a C & P ,done in 1988,  fixed the EED at 2 months after I felt the EED should have been. Odd the exam was for PTSD but you would think a C & P examiner would see the veteran had IHD, didn't know he had it, had no treatment or follow up done to an abnormal EKG,and that some steps would be taken to get him treated for it in 1988......

Then again I must be nuts.... multiple doctors malpracticed on him at 2 VAMCS so why would I expect a C & P doctor to pick up on the medical error in 1988...I do not believe any VA med person had anything to do with determining the 50% rating because if they did the examiner might well have found the ischemic stroke he had was more than likely  due to the IHD.That is rated under 1151 at 100%.

I thought this would be discussed at yesterday's radio show but it wasn't. There is no doubt in my mind that many vets who should be SCed under Nehmer , aren't and maybe by now they are dead, with potential surviving family members who don't even know a claim could be filed.

I get emails on this latest AO BS everyday and I hope any adversely affected vets or their survivors stay tuned for whatever VA will do to correct this.

http://www.hdnews.net/news/local/agent-orange-benefit-screening-process-scrutinized-in-congress/article_f4f30385-6fc3-5e4b-aff7-9d11a1955517.html