VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Exam available in my area

Rate this question

Wes200

Question

I was informed there are no C&P examiners available in my area - the closest 150 MILES away - my disability makes it difficult for me to sit for long periods of time so being driven 3 hours is not feasible. I live in a metropolitan capitol city so this doesn't make any sense.

They said they are looking for more providers but cannot say when that might happen suggesting it may be many months which isn't acceptable. Im not getting anywhere with the people I have spoken to.

Is there some rule that the C&P must be within a reasonable distance (given my inability to travel) and if they must schedule in a reasonable amount of time?

nice.

Short explanation:

Exam location is determined (or is supposed to be determined) by the ERRA tool.

Long explanation:

You select zip code in Veteran's profile (VBMS) and right-click to open the ERRA tool. I couldn't find a link where we could use it- It's only zip-code material; it wouldn't involve information specific to any person (or, again, shouldn't).

The results could, and sometimes do, change daily.

What you see when the ERRA opens is a table at top with disabilities (exams) and boxes below those disability exams telling user whether the exam is supposed to be VA or one of the private examiners. Example, one box is 'Mental Health', and below could be 'VA', another is 'all others' and could say, again for instance, 'LHI.'

Below the table there's the nearest VA exam clinics to that zip by mileage- And descriptions of what they do, and don't do- Usually what they don't do. It could include info on how incarcerated Veterans are given an exam, for instance; 'We have a MOU with XX department of corrections to conduct our exams ....' or 'We don't do hearing exams.'

If, for instance, the clinic doesn't do hearing exams, the user would then schedule with the next closest clinic that does do the exam (assuming table says 'VA' for that particular exam).

RO then uploads the exam in a program called 'CAPRI' with the nearest clinic, and someone, from the clinic I *think*, then contacts the Veteran (or, again, is supposed to contact the Veteran)

If the exam is private ('contract'), there's another program (CAATS) where the RO enters the exam. Then it's usually rejected, and someone figures that out a couple months later and tries to fix whatever the original RO did wrong on the exam.

A screenshot of the exam and the ERRA tool results for the Veteran's zip should be uploaded in VBMS eFolder, too.

Things that go wrong:

-Clinic doesn't notify Veteran (oldest trick in the book)

- RO doesn't update your new address

- Clinic capability verbiage is wrong, or confusing

- Exam is rejected

What to do

Ask to see ERRA results. If you're in a major metro, doesn't sound right. You can always ask for an exception, All of us that have been in the service know what sometimes happens to 'exceptions' requests ...

Wes, been a couple days since your initial post. You've received fundamentally sound advice from a number of long time Hadit members and numerous requests for additional info pertaining to your circumstances and disabilities. As yet you seem somewhat reluctant to supply the information. Less information is never good.

Right now, there are (2) Hadit members that need to update their Vet profile disability picture, you and  Rhoe. It's always good to know a posters bonafide's.  Rhoe, while you're at it, At Ease, with all the negativity and conspiracy theories.

Semper Fi