VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nightmares Again

Rate this question

Cavtrooper088

Question

Well, it has been another night filled with nightmares and sad memories. Saw where my good friend SGMdae was on watch earlier. He's a good man. Two tours in RVN-both in the bush. He was actually surrounded one night by a NVA patrol and lived to talk about it. There is actually a Stars and Stripes article about it.

Tonight's nightmares was not as bad as a few nights ago. It helps to be able to sit down and tell (type LOL) about it. Thank you Hadit for being there. Normally I spend hours staring out the windows going from window to window looking at the treelines. Tonight has been easier. Besides--faithful K-9 Private Bubbles (MOS Yorkie) decided to provide additional security for me on my patrol tonight. At least she did until she fell asleep under my feet and started snoring.

God Bless all. Especially our troops.

Cavtrooper088

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry to hear about your nightmares. I understand all too well. It's messed up that the one place we think we are "safe" is during sleep and to have our worst memories invade that once peaceful time goes far beyond what most can realize.

I'm glad you have your trusty K-9 to keep you company....my cats aren't much good at guarding anything!!

Keep writing here if that is what helps...

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavtrooper, yes write here if you need to. Hope ya don't mind if I ask, could it be meds or something you eat before going to bed? and do you have a night time routine that needs tweaked?

For example, I'm working on getting better sleep to reduce my night&morning junk dreams just before waking). During this past year, been stopping the late tea (diuretics -- yikes), but I do get a snack,(pbj bite, cheese nibbles or nanna) that along with wellbutrin and dark warm room colors. Also, I close the big house down, lock the doors, turn off lights, fans and media kiddos leave on. And like you, got a housedog. Dog clocks in for bed first, pushes creaky bedroom door open and flops down on the floor. So far so good,....that and rainy nights

Best to ya,

Cowgirl'up2009!

cavtrooper, im on patrol with u!!! my nightmares r different but the pain is the same. if i get 2 hrs sleep at a time, its a good nite. wish i had some comfort for u, but until then, just know myself and my k-9 baby (MOS shih tzu) have this sentry covered....btw, i like the way u put that MOS :angry: that was cute!

• HadIt.com Elder
Well, it has been another night filled with nightmares and sad memories.

Cavtrooper088

Thank you for your service & Welcome Home, Cavtrooper008. I was a RTO in a light weapons infantry company, I Corp, RVN 67-68. I was relieved and grateful to see you guys in the air, when we needed you. Your service was / is greatly appreciated. The good thing about nightmares is waking up the next day to the realization that it was just a dream. Recently early morning torment has replaced the blood and guts of the night, for me. We are survivors. Good luck tonight.

post-4811-1247676232_thumb.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

You know if you have some additional stress in your life it can trigger the old PTSD problems. When I am under some stress I often dream I am back in Vietnam. I am in the dream wondering how I got back to Nam. I realize it can't be happening, but I am there. It is weird, but I was young then, so maybe I just wish I was young again. Everything in the dream is vivid and I feel just like I felt then. I wake up and crawl out of bed feeling about 80 years old.

• HadIt.com Elder
You know if you have some additional stress in your life it can trigger the old PTSD problems. When I am under some stress I often dream I am back in Vietnam. I am in the dream wondering how I got back to Nam. I realize it can't be happening, but I am there. It is weird, but I was young then, so maybe I just wish I was young again. Everything in the dream is vivid and I feel just like I felt then. I wake up and crawl out of bed feeling about 80 years old.

Yes john999, you are so right,...we were young back then. Interesting observation. Even in my worst nightmares, I am young again. Time passes so fast, these days. Do you remember the TV series "Cosmos"? Carl Sagan started each show with something like " old men dream dreams, and young men see visions".. I have a better appreciation for his quote, these days. Say, Cavtrooper088, are young in your dreams too?