VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adjustment Disorder?

Rate this question

Mariel

Question

Hello all. I'm new here. Can someone tell me if Chronic Adjustment Disorder secondary to a diagnosed heart condition is compensible? I have researched this thoroughly, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. Some forums say it is, some say it isn't. I do know that it is in the VASRD. But would the VA pay to compensate for it? Thanks in advance.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Blanco can't tell if you are one of them but many Veterans have been denied benefits on a misdiagnosis of personality disorder.

W

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA re-evaluates your Personality Disorder thing and decides you have an acutal psychiatric disorder you can get compensation. The thing is what they decide will be your effective date. You get tagged with a PD and then ten years later they change your DX to PTSD they will give you a ED of the date they dx PTSD. To get the EED you have do some work. I was DX'ed with a PD and discharged, but lucky for me the VA did DX me with a compensable psychiatric disorder that that an effective date back to my date of discharge. That was the luckiest break I ever got even though they low balled me.

To my understanding there is no such thing as a chronic adjustment disorder (Axis 1 on DSMI4)

An "adjustment disorder can turn into a clinical depression, anxiety disorder etc.

It is not a personality disorder.

there is provided for in the dsmiv (tr) text revision...chronic adjustment disorder...prior to that ad had to resolve itself within 6 months of the tramatic event or it had to be something else...

I myself spent the last 55 days of service in an army psych ward with an axis I diagnosis of ad with depressed mood which through the years has been whittled down to bipolar disorder...

the dsmiv txt revision does provide for chronic ad...and has been proven to be compensatable at the bva and cavc levels...

btw adjustment disorder is often used as an entry level diagnosis...so don't fret too much as someone else commented...the criteria are the same for ptsd and AD ...but ptsd is rated @ 100% and AD @ 60%

• HadIt.com Elder

If an adjustment disorder is changed by a diagnosis later your example adjustment disorder becomes bipolar than it was bipolar in the first place they just labeled you with a temp diagnosis.