Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated For Ms

Rate this topic

tami

Congratulations on your rating, Tami!

I also have MS which I anticipate a rating for within the next few months. When I filed my claim, I included a lot of my residuals and secondary conditions. It has been a 2-1/2 year battle getting the MS service connected, but I'm quite confident now since the RO has finally scheduled C&Ps for the residuals and secondaries. My MS is secondary progressive and I am totally disabled.

I am certainly no expert on VA claims, but I would suggest that you file for all of your residual conditions as well as filing for IU. It may be possible that your residuals will get you to the 100% mark which would make IU a moot point, but if not, you will already have your IU claim in. Remember that things like depression, cognitive dysfunction, muscle weakness, spasticity and overwhelming fatigue are a few of the very common issues with MS.

I wish you the best in getting an increased rating.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your rating, Tami!

I also have MS which I anticipate a rating for within the next few months. When I filed my claim, I included a lot of my residuals and secondary conditions. It has been a 2-1/2 year battle getting the MS service connected, but I'm quite confident now since the RO has finally scheduled C&Ps for the residuals and secondaries. My MS is secondary progressive and I am totally disabled.

I am certainly no expert on VA claims, but I would suggest that you file for all of your residual conditions as well as filing for IU. It may be possible that your residuals will get you to the 100% mark which would make IU a moot point, but if not, you will already have your IU claim in. Remember that things like depression, cognitive dysfunction, muscle weakness, spasticity and overwhelming fatigue are a few of the very common issues with MS.

I wish you the best in getting an increased rating.

Thanks kaykay, thank you for your service and I am sorry you have SPMS, and hopefully they will be quick with your exams. It was about 7 weeks after my exam that I was rated for the MS. I will definitely file for those other issues

"Berta, I hadn't requested the IU, but they sent the form with the packet... I'm not sure what I am going to do yet."

At 90% now Tami- and I assume you are unable to work-YES file the TDIU form.

Check Yes to # 18 and then apply for SSA disability benefits.

Under Remarks # 25 refer them to separate page (put Name, address, and C file number on it) and tell them anything they need to consider for TDIU such as side affects of your SC meds that prohibit employment.

Many SC meds cause sleeplessness for example, and or confusion etc. all side affects that can profoundly affect one's ability to gain and retain sustainable employment.

If Voc Rehab VA ever turned you down due to SC tell them that too.

Kay Kay-did your SMRs reveal any symptoms of MS or did you have any documented symptoms or diagnosis of MS within 7 years after your discharge?

The symptoms of early stage MS can be misinterpreted.

If you need to obtain an IMO for this claim I highly recommend Dr. Craig C. Bash.He can be googled for his contact info, He is quite expensive but he is not only a former VA doctor, but also a Neuroradiologist, has an extensive curriculum vitae and also he has MS.

Berta, I am currently working, Luckily my MS isn't that bad that I can't, that and my bosses are extremely understanding of the disease and my needs. I feel blessed they are that way,because I've worked where they weren't. My other issues that brought me to 80% are Meniere's syndrome 60%, Asthma 30%, migraine 30% and numbness in both feet, 10% each. Most likely the migraine and definitely the feet are directly related to the MS, and possibly the Meniere's. You are very right in saying symptoms can be misdiagnosed. I have probably had it for at least ten years, 6 of those years while still active duty.

Betty, thank you :)

Kay Kay-did your SMRs reveal any symptoms of MS or did you have any documented symptoms or diagnosis of MS within 7 years after your discharge?

The symptoms of early stage MS can be misinterpreted.

If you need to obtain an IMO for this claim I highly recommend Dr. Craig C. Bash.He can be googled for his contact info, He is quite expensive but he is not only a former VA doctor, but also a Neuroradiologist, has an extensive curriculum vitae and also he has MS.

Berta - I previously posted that my VSO went to bat for me before my last denial was promulgated (I was denied twice before this). He was apparently successful because the RO has now requested C&P exams for all of the conditions I have claimed as residuals or secondary to MS. So it looks like service connection for MS is in the bag. As a matter of fact, I am getting 7 exams done this Thursday. Once those are done I will be scheduled for an MH exam.

My VSO who is very cautious about not setting vets up for a big let down had me submit claims for SAH and adapted automobile grants last week because he is pretty confident that I will qualify for these benefits.

Thanks so much for the advice that you and others here have given me. I certainly attribute a great deal of my anticipated succes to this forum.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use