VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Information Be Added After The C&p Exam?

Rate this question

JuanP

Question

I forgot to tell the doctor some of my side effects while I was having my exam last week. IS there a form or addendum I can send in to be considered with the exam.

I was a bit rattled when I went in as well as the fact that I didn't have my side effects written down to present.

Considering one of my side effects is short term memory loss is one of the main one's, you would think I would have made a list to take with me.

Thanks! Juan

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I too believe if you have more evidence-send it in!

The idea that additional evidence can delay a claim doesn't make sense when you consider -that without that evidence-the claim could be denied.... a major 'delay' will occur then.

My husband had a rep once 18 years ago who told me not to send them too much for his claim for higher rating. I said my husband just got SSA award solely for PTSD so that would help his claim for higher rating if they know that-right?

He said "Mrs Simmons I don't think that will help his claim at all.VA is not bound by SSA determinations." When I rattled off Washington V Derwinski he got angry and said do what you want with the SSA award.

Years ago reps were very quick to say Dont send them too much.

If they meant a long personal rendition without any medical facts, I can agree with them. I breeze over that kind of stuff myself.

But any good medical evidence is critical to a claim.

I too believe if you have more evidence-send it in!

The idea that additional evidence can delay a claim doesn't make sense when you consider -that without that evidence-the claim could be denied.... a major 'delay' will occur then.

My husband had a rep once 18 years ago who told me not to send them too much for his claim for higher rating. I said my husband just got SSA award solely for PTSD so that would help his claim for higher rating if they know that-right?

He said "Mrs Simmons I don't think that will help his claim at all.VA is not bound by SSA determinations." When I rattled off Washington V Derwinski he got angry and said do what you want with the SSA award.

Years ago reps were very quick to say Dont send them too much.

If they meant a long personal rendition without any medical facts, I can agree with them. I breeze over that kind of stuff myself.

But any good medical evidence is critical to a claim.

My husband filed to IHD for agent orange along with hypertension, coronary atherosclerosis, pulmonary fibrosis ( chronic lung disease) in Feb. 2010. The VA wanted him to get a heart cath and we told them we wanted to go to his own private doctor. After this was done in Aug. '10, our VA primary told us to send in the results: fax it- mail it, & then wait a week and call. We also faxed it to our VA pulmonary doctor and followed up with a call. Even out VA doctor knows how things can get "lost, may I say". His echo was worst than the one done in February at VA. When we checked it went back to wherever it goes. Our DAV rep said that they had made a decision on 12/01/10. We have a va letter saying that they are working on his COMPENSATION. I feel like it will not be long before we know what percentage and how much.

Like I said earlier, I am writing this to keep my husband from having to deal with any more VA than he has to. I hope you understand.

I only mention the additional evidence info because I got it straight from the horse's mouth- a head VA rater at the Portland VARO.

I asked him about the backlog and he mentioned a vet who keeps sending in additional evidence, which kicks the file back in the process.

You certainly want to present your best case but I'd do that and then let it ride.

Best info I have.

"But- I've been told by a VARO that submitting additional evidence starts the claim clock over, so others may have better advice on how to proceed."

"I only mention the additional evidence info because I got it straight from the horse's mouth- a head VA rater at the Portland VARO."

Notorious -I can see the point of a rater, receiving lots of additional evidence knowing it takes time to review it all----but

my last claim had considerable evidence and 3 IMOs ( I sent them evidence during the entire 7 years to final award )and -this is so odd- the very last piece of evidence I sent could have resolved the claim maybe without all of the other stuff and faster.

I was familiar with my husband's autopsy and felt I had associated everything in it well with his undiagnosed DMII.

I was wrong. For some reason one day ,after the BVA got the claim, I went over the microscopic slides of his autopsied heart and looked up a word that I thought I understood for years and was not important to my claim.

But I looked the word up anyhow.I was shocked. It was proof positive of my claim.The slides revealed a condition that only untreated severe hyperglycemia could cause.

I read BVA decisions all the time. Sometimes the most insignificant piece of evidence can become the most critical one.

Rockman - did VA send you the IHD C & P for private cardio doctor to fill out?

It is in our Agent Orange forum.

I only mention the additional evidence info because I got it straight from the horse's mouth- a head VA rater at the Portland VARO.

I asked him about the backlog and he mentioned a vet who keeps sending in additional evidence, which kicks the file back in the process.

You certainly want to present your best case but I'd do that and then let it ride.

Best info I have.

We are touching nothing on the claims until we hear something. Then if someting needs to be increased or whatever, then that is the time. Get the claim processed and money in hand and then and only then will we do anything more.

Thanks

"But- I've been told by a VARO that submitting additional evidence starts the claim clock over, so others may have better advice on how to proceed."

"I only mention the additional evidence info because I got it straight from the horse's mouth- a head VA rater at the Portland VARO."

Notorious -I can see the point of a rater, receiving lots of additional evidence knowing it takes time to review it all----but

my last claim had considerable evidence and 3 IMOs ( I sent them evidence during the entire 7 years to final award )and -this is so odd- the very last piece of evidence I sent could have resolved the claim maybe without all of the other stuff and faster.

I was familiar with my husband's autopsy and felt I had associated everything in it well with his undiagnosed DMII.

I was wrong. For some reason one day ,after the BVA got the claim, I went over the microscopic slides of his autopsied heart and looked up a word that I thought I understood for years and was not important to my claim.

But I looked the word up anyhow.I was shocked. It was proof positive of my claim.The slides revealed a condition that only untreated severe hyperglycemia could cause.

I read BVA decisions all the time. Sometimes the most insignificant piece of evidence can become the most critical one.

Rockman - did VA send you the IHD C & P for private cardio doctor to fill out?

It is in our Agent Orange forum.

No, they did not. He had the heart C&P exam, but had tons of medical evidence from the private doc along with all of the hospital records showing IHD. The newest evidence they have is from 08/05/10. The C & P was done before the heart cath. She (the heart cath c&p lady) did tell my husband when he got any more medical info to send it on in, for it would only help and speed up his claim. The VA Pulmonologist is the one that wanted the heart cath. I know there is a new form that I believe I saw on one of your posts that had the new IHD form to fill out for claims. We did not do that, since the first IHD claim was filed in Feb. '10. I hope that is how we should have handled it. Since the medical evidence from August-with the cath. echo, and ekg, we have just left it alone for them to review. When they sent it back after the heart cath, I only see how it could help support his claim.

Thank you and others with all the great information we can get from here!! I am just learning and have a long ways to go. I know after we receive a decision, I will be posting more- especially before his PTSD C&Pexam.