VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab For Iu

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I'm scheduled for appt. with Voc Rehab this Tuesday and want to know if I need to bring my paperwork from prior schooling, work history and resume's if I'm just applying for unemployable (IL). I understand I have to go thru the 6 hour class and take thier test's and all. My claim for TDIU was denied for reason of; "I could work sitting down". I filed reconsideration which is still pending. The SO at RO requested I seek Voc Rehab to claim I'm unemployable. So, is the paperwork needed just to seek unemployable status?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless Voc Rehab says you are not able to be rehabilitated this is not going to help your TDIU claim. What are you trying to accomplish? If you are accepted for rehab are you going to be able to work at the end of the program? Your SO is assuming voc rehab is going to say you can't be rehabbed. Voc rehab may not agree with that idea. You don't want to give the VA evidence unless you know what the evidence will say.

Unless Voc Rehab says you are not able to be rehabilitated this is not going to help your TDIU claim. What are you trying to accomplish? If you are accepted for rehab are you going to be able to work at the end of the program? Your SO is assuming voc rehab is going to say you can't be rehabbed. Voc rehab may not agree with that idea. You don't want to give the VA evidence unless you know what the evidence will say.

My appointment is tomorrow at 8:30, do you think I'm better off canceling it?

• HadIt.com Elder

You might as well go for the testing. Just be honest about the extent of your disabilites. They may determine you are not a good candidate for rehabilitation due to your disabilites. That would help a TDIU claim. Can I ask how old you are? That is important for your own life. Maybe you can be rehabilitated. You need to examine your own ability to work in the future.

Like John said......this may be a good thing! If the counselor finds you to be unemployable, he/she can write a letter stating just that! So this may be a good thing, I would go and be honest about your SC conditions!

B6

I'm 57 years. GED education, with no prior schooling or specialty other than the apprenteship program of 4 years to be a electrical lineman (High Liner). I worked doing that for the past 21 years until discharged with disibility retirement due to SC injury in 2008, and havn't worked since. Since the C&P examiner stated I can work secretary jobs my TDIU was denied. I filed reconcider letter stating from my Pain management Dr I can not sit more than 15 mins. because of cramps, pain,etc. The TKR I had in 2009 wasn't fully successful, therefore rating me at 60%. So, I'm not sure what Voc Rehab will say about being IU. I'll be going in blinded on what to say or do. My reconsider letter for TDIU is still pending.

If Voc Rehab says that solely due to your SC condition- you are not a candidate for Voc Rehab then this will help your TDIU claim.

"I filed reconcider letter stating from my Pain management Dr I can not sit more than 15 mins"

I was in college a few years ago- whether you attend Voc Rehab in a traditional campus setting or take on line courses-you will be required to sit for long periods of time.

I had to attend lectures on campus as well as on line, and had to participate with class members in both venues.

I had a chronic backache most of time in my last semesters -due to sitting and pouring over books for hours and doing the homework, then typing it all up and submitting it.

I suggest that you show that letter to the Voc Rehab people.

Of course an online college gives you chance to get up from the work, leave the PC in your home and walk around-for a break-----sometimes---

My exams were all 3 hours of sitting and I could not leave the PC once the timed exam was loaded by AMU.

Some of my exams required Proctor so I had to sit for 3 hours at a library computer instead of my home PC.

One test I had involved challenging an line an enlisted man in my class - we were learning how to develop 5 paragraph orders for battle command .I would type my orders and then he would respond- stuff like that----while our instructor, a Marine Corps Major, monitored us.)particularily me as I was only second civilian student AMU ever had.

It was stressful but exciting.

I don't know what courses you would take that would not require long hours of sitting in one spot in any Voc rehab situation.

Edited by Berta