VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Change From Preparation For Decision To Gathering Of Evidence!

Rate this question

jefmil50

Question

Ok I have read different opinions on here about requesting your C-file, I have never done that so I went ahead and requested my file. The question I have is what is anyone's opinion of requesting my C-file in the middle of a claim, and do you think that request is the reason why my claim went from preparation for decision back to gathering of evidence?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Just my opinion-

Your c-file should be contained in the VA computer system. Unlike several years ago when they may have had it in a notebook binder located somewhere or on someone reviewing your case's desk, they should be able to act on your request for a copy without disrupting a claim already in progress.

I may be wrong but with the computer technology around today, I sure hope this would be the case. Others who have working knowledge of current VA practices should correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck to you...

LC

Guess my answer may have just came an hour ago. I received a call that they scheduled me for a C&P exam at the end of this month, so maybe that is why my status changed!

VA is not up on all the computer updates. When a veteran requests a copy of their c-file, that folder is sent to those that do nothing but copy. If you have a claim that is automated, the file is sent to the location where they make copies, then returned to its last location.

I have always highly recommended that the c-file be not requested until the claim is completed. Then if you disagree with the RD, you can request a copy of the C/P exams along with the C-file for review and to prepare the NOD if that's your choice.

Edited by meghp0405

• HadIt.com Elder

C-Files are paper. The VA has not hired temporary unemployed to feed our paper files into a computer storage device. They could hire long term unemployed and this would keep a million people employed for a few months just getting C-Files in order by date and putting them into computer format. Then entire C-Files could be at finger tips of vets, VSO's , lawyer and the VA. When my lawyer finally got my C-File he was appalled at the condition of the file. He had been doing SSDI claims where the files are nice and neat.

John

when mine went from prep for decision back to gathering evidence it appears a reviewer decided I needed a C&P.

good news was after the C&P I requested a "emergency" copy, which took a couple weeks, and before I could send in any "additional info" I got the manila envelope with decision.

Hope all works out for you