VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Letter to "Evaluate current level of of Disability"?

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

I've come to trust this forum and that's why I'm asking this question? A few days ago I got a new letter form the VA and it says to "Evaluate my "current" level of Disability"? Interestingly, my claim was just adjudicated to 80% last March and a all of my other claims were denied except one low ball for Cardiac Hypertensive Disease 10% which kept the percentage at 80%?  Following, that decision, I put in for TBI that I had waited on for sometime. Also,  I'll be 55 in January 2016 and I'm wondering if they want to try and lower my ratings before that point? Originally, I was scheduled for a re-evaluation in Sept 2017 which seemed reasonable but these new dates seem soon? I know that they can reorder this kind of thing at anytime. Also, I told some of you about my recent QTC experience were I went in for another ear explosion residual exam -and the QTC Dr said it "looked good to her" and denied SC... Well, then a month later I had one of my constant right ear infections & pain episodes,. and instead of going into a basic care clinic, I went to see a prominent ENT Dr. who said he could easily see the ear damage and inter ear  scarring? The previous QTC doc spent about 4 minutes with me and the new ENT spent 45 minutes and was thorough and of course found something.

So, has anyone recently had a similar experience or received a letter like this? Why would they want to do the exams over again? Thanks Rootbeer22

Take the records from the new ENT you saw with you.  Personally, I feel the QTC Doc should be held responsible for keeping you from getting what you should be getting if the condition is now found service connected.  Providing a professional diagnosis for the US Government has to hold an expectation of professional competence when they seek out licensed professionals that are paid to help you through the completion of DBQ's and medical opinions.

I am in a similar situation right now with the results of a C&P exam.

There needs to be some sort of legislation or regulation action put in place to punish those who conduct examinations this way.  Not only do they harm the Vets who they take money to serve, but they also damage the reputation of the VA, and the Federal Government.  When they do this, it should open the doors that will literally threaten their livelihood, leading to the removal of their right to practice medicine for multiple offenses, to countervail the enticement of easy money cranking out C&P exams.

Edited by pwrslm

pwrslm:

Thanks for your comments:

I'm starting to see a trend with QTC locally on this and it's mainly the doctors that they seem to hire? They either deny or low ball with their evaluations and I'm hearing this from other Vets  as well. I plan to get IMOs on everything that was denied anyway. Frankly, I would not have put in for something that did not occur in service anyway and frankly it's a bit insulting to me. Overall, I'd just like for the exams to just be unbiased and based only on the facts. But, a lot of people had these same types of experiences with these CP exams. I commented in this forum once about the Gulf War  CP Exam I took in which the doctor spent less than 20 minutes with a 4 hour schedule exam..this was despite having 4 of the 7 main confirmed symptoms - but still not enough evidence. Needless to say, this is all very frustrating even when the evidence is clear cut  -it's just no enough sometimes which is disheartening....Even my Cardiac Diagnosis was low-balled and the Dr.s left off most of what I put in my pre-examination statements. They said, and I quote, "Vet denies, fatigue, tightness in chest etc..." which was ridiculous because the records specifically say just the opposite...rootbeer22..

rootbeer22

For what it's worth, just read in the M21 2015 update, something regarding Diary Dating Rating Re-Exam dates.

Raters were instructed regarding the use of 18mos, 24mos or 36mos Diary Dates when addressing a new rating Decision, that might be expected to improve with treatment and/or time.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

A basic question I ask myself whenever I'm dealing with a VA doctor.

Why is this doctor working for the VA?

I'm sure that there are a few that do so for altruistic reasons. But, I'd bet that the majority do so for other reasons.

Given the number of "foreign" doctors that are in the system, perhaps one is related to residency in the US, or a training program.

Others seem to have had problems of one kind or another that led them to VA employment.

I'd compare my private cardiologist to the area VAMC's cardiologists, but there just is no comparison, the differences are beyond comparison.

The private cardiologist is board certified, does interventional cardiology on an almost  daily basis, and the VA cardiologists have to send veterans out for interventional

cardiology, and it gets worse from there.  The cardiologist's community hospital is a regional heart center, and qualified to do major heart lung and other transplants, Open heart surgery, etc.

The VAMC has very limited surgical and emergency room capability, and must send patients with serious problems elsewhere, usually the community hospital near the VAMC.  That hospital may be able to "stabilize", and then transfer to the same regional hospital I'd by choice, use to begin with.    

As to the CBOC mentioned in the previous post. If I showed up at the CBOC I'm registered at, in pain, etc. and they refused to treat, I'd likely have to go to the non VA emergency room, and tell them to notify the VA.  If I had a moment to think about it, I'd also have my cell phone set to record the refusal, with a piece of black tape over the record LED.

Edited by Chuck75

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Years ago I had something like this happen. My award letter for one condition said the condition is expected to improve and I would be re-examined in the future. Sure enough, about a year later I received a letter similar to yours. Did any of your rating letters mention anything like this?

Root,

I just went thru this a few months ago where all of my conditions were Reviewed but were not scheduled for Review until Feb 2016. Well in my case my Migraines were increased to 50% and after all of the Reviews including PTSD, then the VA made me Permanent at 33. It sounds like they are doing the same for you. The VA scares us by making it look like a Review or Reduction, but in fact a lot of times the VA is deferring the 100% and Permanent, but puts us thru the Ringer only to be granted in the end. Good luck bud, hope you have a good weekend and keep us posted!!!