VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Individual unemployment. Want to work

Rate this question

Sgt eve

Question

Hello. I was 90% I got fired from my job because issues related from my mental illness.  I applied for IU and got it (permanent). Well my work (union) caught wind that I'm a disabled veteran and asked me if I want to come back. Since I've been at home I began to feel worse. Long story short i feel it would be in my benefit mentally and financially to return to work. Question is.....I know I will no longer receive 100% but if I return to work will I lose everything or will I go back to original 90% ? Thank you very much.

1 answer to this question

Once your Rated IU, the VA promotes you attempting to return to work. Not only would it be good for your Head but you may actually be able to come off the IU Rolls.

This is the critical part, if you have Earned income above the SGI ($12,400 under 65) for (12 Consecutive Uninterrupted Months), you could find yourself up for a reduction back to your 90% Rate.  If you have to take time off due to your IU Issues or your employer has to make Special Accommodations for your SC Disabilities, you're still good to go for IU.

You don't have to go back to a job that was giving you grief, try your hand at something else. I was IU for 4 yrs, working part-time at my Self-Employment before I retired at the end of 15. A few mos later got an SC Bump for SA to 100%.

Each year you're rated IU, (up to age 70) you are required to complete a VA 21-2140 within 60 days of your IU Anniversary Date, even if you don't receive it in the mail. Failure to complete and return can put you up for a reduction back to your 90%. Be very accurate and timely in your filing. Request Verification of Receipt, why take a chance. Semper Fi