VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finding older VAMC Records?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would I go about finding my old VAMC Medical Records? apparently they are not in my C-FILE? 

Not Any of them are in my C-FILE from my old VAMC (Big Spring Tx VAMC)

I used from 1978..1998 Had been dx for pernicious anemia as well as depression and other conditions, was prescribe the B-12 injections for the rest of my life ,  my now present VAMC prescribes the injections.

I wanted to get my older medical records from Big Spring Tx and see what all is in them

Called my old VMC and talked with the Records Manager, she said that my records are sent off to an undisclosed location for storage, she  got my claim # SS# Which is the same as my claim # and see what she can come up with...few days later she called and found no records on me  so they must been sent off for storage.

I called and submitted the  Freedom act of (FROI)to NRPC /Records Release Manager in St Louis Mo, they have no records of my Big Spring Tx VAMC Either??

I half to have records from that Big Spring TX VAMC..I used it for 20 years..I had an appendectomy in 1985..what about those records..I was hospitalized about 3 weeks..no records of that?

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

bump

Buck,

You posted, 

she said that my records are sent off to an undisclosed location for storage, 

There are 2 possibilities here and you should consider both:

1.  The person you spoke to is Full of Schist.  Very possible, this employee is simply to lazy to request these old records at the record storage facility.  My suggestion here is to call back at a different time, get a different employee, and ask again.  

2.  The records went to NPRC, and you can request them there.  

One bit of advice in general, if you are filing for a disability, DON'T put anything unnecessary in box 14; Old VA records held up so many claims it was unbelievable! You'd get exactly what you got, and many times it was just redundant- Enough to show a 'current condition' was already in the record.

You need to go to the hospital's ROI and use their form. If they want to mess with you, go to your congressman. They may not get it for them, but at least you get something in writing to 'adjust fire' off of.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with you broncovet about this VA employee  she sent me  about 30 records of different veterans that were in prison or in county jails and why and named their disabilities..all their SS# Were on them. 

I knew she made a mistake or someone did ...sent me the wrong batch of records

I called her and she ask me to resend those back ASAP..So I closed up the big brown package they came in and resent it to her   she called me and thanked me.

that was the end of my record chasing.

• HadIt.com Elder

I may try that Mike Hunt  Thanks

I second checking with your congressman.  My records were "lost" at San Diego and I requested my congressman look into it.  I got a letter from the Assistant Sec of the VA saying I had never been to their facility but if I had some proof I had been there that they would rebuild my records.  I supplied copies I had and they supplied nothing in the end but at least I rattled someone's cage.