Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Agent Orange Vets

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This is the most recent doc. (pdf) at the NVLSP web site.(June 2006)

http://nvlsp.org/images/DMZUnitsExposedtoAgentOrange.pdf

As the PDF states (NVLSP) this could change and more units and brigades could be added.

ANY Korean vet who served in the area as defined in these regs during the time periods defined and who has a AO presumptive disability should file a SC claim.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

To clarify-this is the AO exposure unit/brigade list: from NVLSP however any Korean vet should read the PDF I attached here in prior post and file a claim if they are on that list too-for the possibility that your unit will be included at some point-

State the presumptive AO disability you have and tell them how you were exposed, and when and where.

VA RECOGNIZES AGENT ORANGE USED IN KOREA

During the March 2003 VSCM call, we provided information regarding the use of Agent Orange in Korea along the DMZ, including the units in the area during the period in which Agent Orange was sprayed. DoD has provided a correction to two of the cited units. Previously reported as the 109th and 209th Infantry, those units were actually the 1/9th and 2/9th Infantry. A corrected listing of units follows:

The four combat brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division:

1-38 Infantry

2-38 Infantry

1-23 Infantry

2-23 Infantry

3-23 Infantry

3-32 Infantry

1-9 Infantry

2-9 Infantry

1-72 Armor

2-72 Armor

4-7th Cavalry

3rd Brigade of the 7th Infantry Division:

1-17th Infantry

2-17th Infantry

1-73rd Armor

2-10th Cavalry

If you receive a claim from a veteran who alleges service at the DMZ during the period April 1968 to July 1969, and who was assigned to one of the above units, please concede exposure to herbicides. Therefore, there is no need to contact C&P Service in these cases.

For all other claims of herbicide exposure, ask the claimant for a detailed description of the exposure, including the location, approximate date(s) and nature of the exposure. You should also ask the claimant for proof of exposure, such as "buddy" statements, photographs taken during service or letters written during service. Once the detailed exposure information is obtained and there is no evidence of exposure, provide this information to Cheryl Konieczny via email. We will then consult DoD's Agent Orange listing of use, test and disposal of Agent Orange.

See "News and Notes" from the Department of Veterans Affairs, St. Petersburg Regional Office.

This is the most recent doc. (pdf) at the NVLSP web site.(June 2006)

http://nvlsp.org/images/DMZUnitsExposedtoAgentOrange.pdf

As the PDF states (NVLSP) this could change and more units and brigades could be added.

ANY Korean vet who served in the area as defined in these regs during the time periods defined and who has a AO presumptive disability should file a SC claim.

"My Unit is on the AO list, my unit was there prior and after. 1Aug 69. we had 50 to 90 rotations to the Z. my MOS was 94B30. but on the Z your MOS did not mean a thing. most of the nightly patrols were made up of cooks , clerks, supply, most of the time we had C-Rations twice a day one hot meal. we would team up with 1st/23Inf or 2nd 17th Inf.

Patrick"

Cooks and many supply servicemen could possibly have been on guard duty in the area where the AO was sprayed.

I hope you claimed this Patrick-if you have a presumptive condition-and I hope you can detail by records that you were in the specific south side swath of land that touches the Z--- during the specific time frame-

VA wants proof that the vet was on duty within that swath-as decribed previously

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 3 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use