Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

For You Ptsd's

Rate this question

yoggie2

Question

I submitted 2 IMO's on my claim, how much weight do they actually carry with the evaluation board? How are they Viewed? 1 was from a forensic psychologist for SSA and 2nd was a regular psychologist appointed locally by the VA for evaluation and therapy. Both in favor of PTSD from combat and and the VA of course favored BPD with GAF of 40? still waiting on decision , but I guess I must ask these questions....... Thanks Rich

P.S I left the papers in my car soon as it gets here I will post.

Edited by yoggie2

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

BPD? sorry, dont want to guess wrong, is that personality disorder?

Yes, IMOs are very Very VERY important and carry much weight, so much as they connect to VA guidance in SC the claimed issue. I got a 2nd imo and await the VA's action on my current claim issues. I got my first IMO & SC years ago, surprised me. Last year another IMO for different issue. sure enough got that SC, Yay. Best to ya, cg

I submitted 2 IMO's on my claim, how much weight do they actually carry with the evaluation board? How are they Viewed? 1 was from a forensic psychologist for SSA and 2nd was a regular psychologist appointed locally by the VA for evaluation and therapy. Both in favor of PTSD from combat and and the VA of course favored BPD with GAF of 40? still waiting on decision , but I guess I must ask these questions....... Thanks Rich

• HadIt.com Elder

Its really hard to say without reading them and reviewing your claim. Your IMO's need to overcome any deficiencies in your claim. Most who win a claim start with an IMO so at least you are there

"regular psychologist appointed locally by the VA for evaluation" Rich, I had the same, The shrink said " His depression disorder is at least as likely as not caused by or a result of his military duty" When the VA notified me they used this report. good luck and keep us posted, bill

Edited by Billyboy

Stay tuned guy's, I want to show you the differences( soon as I figure it out) the C&P VA examination and those done by(IMO's) 2 Dr's with nothing to gain and 2 different methods of evaluation. Its all most scary, I feel for these guys who go in with out any IMO to conflict with VA DR's. and have there integrity questioned, and problems they have to deal with for the rest of there lives just be put off for years. God, I'm so glad I run into this web site... Rich

I want to make sure that everyone knows about the GAF. It is subject to the "opinions" of the doctor who is evaluating you. There are really no STRICT guidelines to determine a GAF Score of 50- and 52 per say. It is used by the VA in the claim for PTSD. More importantly it is used as a "tool" for the VA to identify and keep the doctor's accountable instead of more "WEIGHT" per se for the Rating. The Rating Schedule does not indicate that a GAF Score of 40 determines a 50% Rating but it does help in accesssing the disability. But like I said, If a DOC says you have a GAF SCORE of 100 (Normal-by DSM-IV standards) but if the DOC says you have problems with marriages, releationships, suicidal tendancies, severe nightmares, etc...it identifies that something is severely wrong with your DOC's evaluation understand? I hear quite often someone saying that the DOC gave them a GAF Score of 40, but the VA rated his claim at 30% Disability, and another DOC say a GAF SCORE of 45 and the other vet got a Disability of 40% and they as a result feel that the VA did something wrong. I have to let them understand how the Global Assessment Functionality score is and how it does not give you a specific rating.

I want to make sure that everyone knows about the GAF. It is subject to the "opinions" of the doctor who is evaluating you. There are really no STRICT guidelines to determine a GAF Score of 50- and 52 per say. It is used by the VA in the claim for PTSD. More importantly it is used as a "tool" for the VA to identify and keep the doctor's accountable instead of more "WEIGHT" per se for the Rating. The Rating Schedule does not indicate that a GAF Score of 40 determines a 50% Rating but it does help in accesssing the disability. But like I said, If a DOC says you have a GAF SCORE of 100 (Normal-by DSM-IV standards) but if the DOC says you have problems with marriages, releationships, suicidal tendancies, severe nightmares, etc...it identifies that something is severely wrong with your DOC's evaluation understand? I hear quite often someone saying that the DOC gave them a GAF Score of 40, but the VA rated his claim at 30% Disability, and another DOC say a GAF SCORE of 45 and the other vet got a Disability of 40% and they as a result feel that the VA did something wrong. I have to let them understand how the Global Assessment Functionality score is and how it does not give you a specific rating.
\

Yes, I fully agree if that is the way that it is applied. But I believe the subject is the VA using the GAF to asses Borderline Personalty Disorders. You are right spike I'm not trying to argue that its just how its used to deny benefits not give them.... Rich