Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Schedular Ptsd No Longer Awarded?

Rate this question

vasolas

Question

Please forgive my long-windedness but I'd really appreciate your advice, thoughts and opinions also I guess this is letting off steam for me.

I'm a Vietnam infantry vet and I served as a spotter on a sniper team. I've had about 16 years of intermittent private psychotherapy and continuous VA treatment since 2001. My ptsd claim included an '05 "PTSD Evaluation" from a private psychologist that I've seen weekly for almost 9 years. (it was very detailed but I'm only outlining here) It noted that I had chronic suicidal ideation, homocidal thoughts and that I was a risk to do harm to myself or others. It diagnosed ptsd chronic, severe and major depression, recurrent. It noted that I was medically retired due to ptsd and stated that, due to ptsd, I was totally and permanently disabled, unemployable and unlikely to improve. It assigned a GAF of 30. Also I had included supportive reports from a private social worker, psychiatrist, and former employer that documented my treatment for ptsd going back to 1990 as well as more recent progress notes from my VA hospital.

The VA C&P psychiatrist diagnosed chronic ptsd & major depression recurrent and severe. His report described me as a "hermit" who is "severely impaired socially and vocationally". He wrote that "It is unlikely that this man could ever function in any kind of work capacity at this time". He assigned a GAF of 35.

I'd expected to be awarded 100% schedular ptsd but in June 05 I received 70% and IU was deferred. I filed a NOD with a personal narrative that described how my symptoms had worsened and how they approximated the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorder's criteria for 100% schedular disability. Included was a copy of my recent SSD award due to ptsd, a progress note from a VA psychiatrist that stated that I was "considered totally and permanently disabled for gainful employment", 3 more progress notes all with GAF's of 30, plus other supportive documentation.

In late March 07 I received a SOC that continued my 70% and ignored most of my evidence that supported a grant of 100% schedular. It cited 9 pages of VA regs and 1 of reasons and bases. The R&B's described me as having mild to moderate daily dysphoria, moderate social anxiety symptoms (I've been a hermit for years inorder to cope with severe anxiety,depression and to avoid conflict with people), no violence toward people (my personal narrative described one of several such incidents in which I had crawled with loaded weapon to a car that had stopped at night in the boonies where I live - my VA psychiatrist hadn't quoted this incident directly in his report but had referred to it as an example of my "perpetual combat behaviors"). The SOC also stated that I denied suicidal or homocidal ideations (the preponderance of the many documents I'd sent noted chronic suicidal thoughts (w/o intent) and at least 2 of them reported homocidal thoughts). The SOC selectively plucked from the many documents I'd sent any positive reference to myself and ignored the statements that were supportive of a 100% schedular rating. For example, It used against me one sentence from a report that noted that I had helped to care for my terminally ill father but it made no reference to my occupational impairment, my consistenly low GAF scores and I was not offered another C&P.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, thoughts or opinions about my case and how I might best present my appeal for 100% schedular to the Board (my deadline is near). Perhaps I should be satisfied with 70% and the possibility of IU especially since so many deserving vets aren't even awarded that, and I know that it is now very difficult or perhaps impossible to be granted 100% schedular, but it is a matter of principal to me since I believe that my war-related mental disorder has rendered me 100% disabled.

Also is it possible/likely that VARO will deny me IU when I apply or order me to a C&P for IU? If it is awarded would it be retroactive to my original claim date-June 05?

Incidentally, I believe my claim for 100% schedular would have been granted 6-10 years ago despite the requirement of having psychotic symptoms per the General Rating Formula. I'm aware that VA has been criticised for spending so much and awarding so many 100% schedular awards in the past but I'm not aware of any published documents that have directed VA to limit granting such awards. Does anyone know of such directives or of any VA watchdog who has revealed them?

Does anyone know of anyone who has received 100% schedular ptsd in the past year and of the basis for that award?

Has the VA completely stopped awarding 100% schedular for ptsd?

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did you file a TDIU claim or are you asking specifically for 100% schedular?

I am surprised that VA has not sent you a TDIU form (21-8940) by now. I will attach it-

they said they "defered " this issue -so it could be in process- however-

Under # 18 tell them Yes and then under Remarks tell them you get SSA solely for PTSD (if it is solely for PTSD) and then tell them of any side affects of the SC meds that would render you unemployable and refer also to the evidence that you already had sent-indicating your SC has made you unemployable.

Will attach in next post-cant do that on fast reply.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Did you file a TDIU claim or are you asking specifically for 100% schedular?

I am surprised that VA has not sent you a TDIU form (21-8940) by now. I will attach it-

they said they "defered " this issue -so it could be in process- however-

Under # 18 tell them Yes and then under Remarks tell them you get SSA solely for PTSD (if it is solely for PTSD) and then tell them of any side affects of the SC meds that would render you unemployable and refer also to the evidence that you already had sent-indicating your SC has made you unemployable.

Will attach in next post-cant do that on fast reply.

PS-tell them the date of unemployability that SSA gave you too- and attach copy of the award letter-

TDIU_form.pdf

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would have my shrink write a letter in which he states that you unemployable due to your PTSD. This combined with the SSDI date should at least get you TDIU. You should have gotten 100% schedular but they are playing games with you. The VA danced around my IU claim as well. I got 70% and then they were saying that I was unemployable for other reasons even though my SSDI said for service connected reasons. The way I got my IU was to have a psychiatrist say I was IU in definite terms. You have to sometimes have a doctor say it before they will listen. No doubt in my mind the VA is just trying to put you off on this so don't give up.

• HadIt.com Elder

VASOLAS:

Welcome home to Hadit and thank you for your Service to America.I really don't know the answer to your question. I am 100% Scheduler P&T for panic disorder and I still am amazed that I was given that and not TDIU.

Many who discuss 100% awards here believe that it actually better to have 100% TDIU P&T than schedular. My sense is that you can still get what you want and I bet I know what it is. You want the government to admit that you were injured when you served.

Anyway hang around and I am sure that besides the good advise already given there will be more to come.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Vasolas,

Couple things here:

1) Unless I'm reading you wrong, you're primary evidence is from a "psychologist" and NOT a "psychiatrist"? If so, the RO will give this little to no weight regardless of how many opinions that doctor sends in. You need a psychiatrist to make that diagnosis (especially if using an IMO).

2) The VA is getting killed with PTSD claims and they are discriminating against PTSD vets imo. They attempted to lower my wife from 100% to 70% with a 10GAF, but we appealed and won.

So, it sounds like you have a solid claim for 100%, but you're applying in a time when I think the ROs are being pressured into not paying out what they should. But, as the recent independent report on PTSD showed, there is blatant discrimination against vets with mental disorders....lose an arm or leg in the military and your claim is golden...you can be 100%+ and work and live a great life......ruin your most vital organ and they put you through hell, call you a liar and low-ball claim after claim all while you live a horrible life in which you can't work, can't be social and often become separated from friends/family.

Appeal the claim and don't stop until you get that 100%...if anything, from the sound of your symptoms/diagnosis, you should be 100% + homebound.

Good luck.

Vasolas,i don't understand why va havn't rate you 100%,if you can't work because of your ptsd syptoms you get the 100% Schedular and schedular you for future Exams.

There are 3 ways the VA may choose to set your 100% rating.

IU...Individual unemployability. This means you are really a 70% rating but you cannot work so they grant you 100% based on that.

IU is a tough rating for PTSD. A letter sent to rating officials in the VA states:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t go through the I.U. process if there is clear evidence on the examination that the veteran is unable to work because of PTSD. A 100% evaluation would be more appropriate in such cases, and a future exam can be requested when indicated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same letter gives more information to raters on a study conducted on PTSD ratings. Remember me mentioning that "Saving Private Ryan" guy. well here it is:

Reluctance to grant 100%

Many cases of PTSD were rated at 70% even when there were clear indications on the examination that the veteran had severe symptoms and had total occupational impairment because of PTSD symptoms.

Examples: One veteran had not been working for 2 years because of PTSD symptoms; one was reported as unable to work and getting progressively worse; one had not worked for 7 or 8 months since seeing “Saving Private Ryan”; one was complying with his treatment plan but was said not to be sufficiently stable (e.g., had suicidal ideation) to maintain competitive employment; one was said to have an inability to function in almost all areas; and one had impairment of reality testing, active flashbacks, depression, hopeless mood, etc.

Each of these was rated at 70% but could have been rated at 100%. GAF scores in these cases ranged from 30 to 45. (30 was the lowest GAF score given for any case in this review.) Most were eventually given I.U., but there seemed to be great reluctance to grant a schedular 100-percent evaluation even when there was ample medical evidence of severe disability due to PTSD, and a clear indication of impaired functioning sufficient for a schedular 100-percent evaluation.

The old Physician’s Guide stated in the chapter on mental disorders: “In the case of anxiety disorders, except for severe phobias, it is unusual for a person to be completely incapacitated.” However, VA’s National PTSD Center states that anxiety disorders, severe phobias, PTSD, OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), panic disorder (esp. with agoraphobia), and social phobia all can be debilitating, sometimes to the point of complete incapacitation. Currently, over 29,000 veterans with PTSD are rated at 100% and over 6000 with generalized anxiety disorder are rated at 100%. Therefore, it is no longer correct to say that total incapacitation for anxiety disorders is unusual.

Another rating is schedular: Schedular is the rating that says you are 100% and under the CFR. You fit into that rating criteria.

The last is Permanent and Total or P&T:

This means that rating board feels that you will not improve during your lifetime and you are premanently disabled in there eyes. good luck

mobie

--------------------------------------------------------