Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Ptsd Gaf At 46

Rate this question

majrrich

Question

First I have to say thankyou to everyone who gave me advice on my previous posts.

Had a C& P on Friday picked up a copy today. Appears to be thorough and all issues appear to be addressed. Dr gave a GAF of 46 current and then said GAF 44 to 49 for past year. I am a Vietnam Cobat Vet.

1. Does the VA rely soley on the scores or will they consider all the other evidence on the C & P. I guess I am asking is there any way of determing what type of rating will be given with these GAF scores.

Thanks Rich

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I manged to find the chart and compared the ratings to my CP wordage. looks like 50%. When I took my C&P the DR said I had a very strong stressor, can the seriousness of the stressor add to the %?

• HadIt.com Elder

The stressor will only prove that you have a reason to have ptsd connected to your service.

If you are not able to work you need to request TDIU if you have not already done that.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

The stressor will only prove that you have a reason to have ptsd connected to your service.

If you are not able to work you need to request TDIU if you have not already done that.

Good Luck

Thanks, should I wait for a decision based on what I have submitted, or do I request TDIU now??

Rich

• Founder

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rich

If you are unable to work due to the PTSD then file for TDIU right away. This will preserve the effective date. File the VA TDIU form. Being unemployable is part of the way the VA decides your rating. Being able to work is what decides the difference between total disability and just a partial disability with mental disorders.

I agree.

Wit a consistent GAF of 50, I was 50% rated for about 10+ years and finally decided I should have been rated at 70% all along. It had to go all the way to the BVA but they agreed with me and I got my increase to 70%.

GAFs alone are not enough to go by -- we all know that -- but they are a good indicator of where your disability rating should be at so if your other evidence supports the 70% rating, don't just accept a 50% rating. And a GAF of 50 can be argued either way...argue it in your favor. A GAF lower than 50 CLEARLY should be 70% at least.

IMO, this is especially true of mental disorders rather than physical.

-- John D.

I would compare your symptoms to the chart provided by Carlie, but, generally speaking, I wouldn't be happy with any rating under 70% unless your supporting documentation is VERY weak.
Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)