Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va 100% How Do I Get Ssdi Or Can I

Rate this question

sonicdragon2001

Question

I have been on 100% VA since 2004 and I was told by local friends that i may be able to get a form of SSI not sure about it or any way to go about it, if anyone can help me with some info I would be very greatful.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Can you not work, due to an illness or injury?

It does NOT have to be the same illness or injury that you are receiving your VA pay for.

And, YES, you CAN draw your SSDI and your VA compensation at the same time.

You paid for your SSDI, and you deserve it.

You ALSO paid for your VA compensation, and you deserve it.

Just go to your local SSA office. Get on the SSA site and they will have a list of their locations. Tell what you want to do.

BINGO!

• HadIt.com Elder

Life would be much simpler if your SSD claim had the same illness as the VA Claim. Then you could send a copy of your VA Award with your claim. It really works well if you have PTSD 100% P & T, but I have an issue using different illness for the two claims, but it is none of my business. Just my thoughts.

Don

All good advice so far.

For clarification, your service connected condition will be included in a determination. Also any other condition you may have, service connected or not will be included. In short, when filing for SSDI include ALL conditions that limit your ability to work.

The answer your looking for is yes, if you qualify and cannot work due to disability, you can receive social security. Just go to your local office and file for beniffits. They will help you. (somewhat)

Collect ALL of your medical records, service records, VA healthcare records, C&P exam records, and private care records yourself and take copies in. Hope this helps.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

Great that you got VA 100%.

Now try this online

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps7/best/benefits/

Its a first step that you can do online. Don't wait another day and get started tomorrow or tonight if you read this before tomorrow.

Right- ASAP-

It is my belief that the application for SSA must be made within five years after last employment- I am not sure- the site will explain-

SSA is the best benefit- all SSA apps consider SSI too-

SSI is income limited and your VA comp will knock that out-but you should be eligible for SSA (SSDI) Social Security Disability based on your SSA record) as long as you meet their wage criteria-etc.You can receive both SSA disability and VA comp with no offset.

Sonicdragon2001,

Everyone has given you good advice. Now my two cents: I think you should NEVER go to a Social Security office, EVER! My Attorney advised me that if go in person the representative will rate you on a five point system. I went into our local Social Security office and filled out my paperwork with a lady, took about 2 hours; got my denial letter about a month later. Then I hired an Attorney and they have been taking care of everything. I go to my adj hearing in November and hopefully I will receive my award. All Attorneys charge the same amount to represent you and that rate is set by Social Security. I think the limit that an Attorney can charge is $5,500.00, or if your award is less than $5,500.00 a 25% fee is charged. If I am correct, I am not far off.

I think that hiring an Attorney was the best step for me, the less stress I have the better. They really do take care of everything on your behalf. $5,500.00 is a lot of money; however, in the long run a good Attorney is priceless.

Also, or out of work or can you not work due to the nature of your disabilities? The way the Social Security v iews Employable is very strict. It is not uncommoon to hear of someone receiving a denial due to their ability to sit in a chair and collect tickets. They make it very difficult to be awarded.

Medical Evidence, Medical Evidence, Medical Evidence!! This is the most important part of a decision. If you have multiple Doctors, both VA and Private, opinions that back each other up, you should be awarded.

Edited by MarineDog