Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Federal Disability /100% Va

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

My husband is currently 100% TDIU and receives disability retirement from Federal Service. He applied for SS and was turned down. He called OPM, and was told that if he is turned down for SS then his federal disability retirement would not change. It was suppose to be as follows...First yr. Federal Disability keeps 100% SS and after the first yr., the federal would be reduced and also keep 60% of the SS...

Question..If he does not receive SS disability, does the federal retirement, after the first yr., stay as it is currently or is it still reduced?

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Beware of the offset. If you continue your SSDI claim and finally win the effective date of the SSDI could cause an overpayment of your FERS disability retirement. I do not know just how this works but it happened to a friend of mine. He finally won his SSDI claim and it went all the way back to the date he filed the claim which caused the overpayment and some financial troubles for him. Just something for you to check on!

• HadIt.com Elder

If your husband is finally approved for SSDI then I believe that OPM will reduce the annuity to clear the overpayment. You won't lose that much since you get the SSDI retro, but you don't want to spend as if you will continue to get full OPM in the future. I get the same thing being on FERS and SSDI. My FERS is reduced by 60% of my SSDI. FERS is really a poor retirement system and is not worth a damn.