Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attn: Berta And Others

Rate this question

pete

Question

As I posted before, I have a claim supposedly at the raring board--IMO psychologist ptsd, chronic and severe GAF 45, VA c&p ptsd, major depression GAF 69. I've been attending ptsd therapy at the VA hospital. I had a Pschye evaluation with a VA psychologist after the c&p and now have a copy of it. He gave me a GAF 50 and said other favorable things in support of my ptsd. My question to all of you is--does the rating officer have this information to look at? If not, should I see that they get a copy? Can I use this report in the future for NOD? Thanks.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

As I posted before, I have a claim supposedly at the raring board--IMO psychologist ptsd, chronic and severe GAF 45, VA c&p ptsd, major depression GAF 69. I've been attending ptsd therapy at the VA hospital. I had a Pschye evaluation with a VA psychologist after the c&p and now have a copy of it. He gave me a GAF 50 and said other favorable things in support of my ptsd. My question to all of you is--does the rating officer have this information to look at? If not, should I see that they get a copy? Can I use this report in the future for NOD? Thanks.

Pete how long has the claim been at the Board? If they've already sent you the information letter telling you that they were working on your claim, then more than likely they won't have any of the info on Dr. visits after they got your medical folder. I would highly suggest getting copies of your latest appointments and sending them by certified mail telling them that you have further evidence you are submitting. Typically the letter states you have up to a year (or they do?) to submit evidence to help your claim. Even then they might not ask for it, as I got a date and time stamped sheet letting them know that I had been seeing the therapist at the local Vet Center. They never requested any information from him. I ended up rated at 50% with the same kind of GAF scores you have so right now, I'm not filing a disagreement, but working a claim to increase my other disabilities. Good luck to you Pete.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.

• HadIt.com Elder

10thFO

See that the VARO gets a copy of every favorable piece of evidence in your claim. Don't assume they have it. Send that psychologist's report to the VA via certified mail/return receipt.

• HadIt.com Elder

John's advice is very important. Don't take for granted that the VA communicates with itself.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Agreed, even if they do have it, it doesn't hurt to have two copies plus you can highlight favorable portions if you send your copy (yes they skim a LOT). Also, get another IMO from a civilian psychiatrist. Offer to pay in cash for a full psych evaluation and you'll likely get an appointment MUCH faster (psychs love cash customers). Coach the IMO to best reflect what is needed to prove your claim (IE - hot button words like unemployable, severe, chronic, etc).

In my opinion, there is no such thing as too much information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I always call the VA after I submit evidence to check and see if it has been received. Even stuff I hand carry to them I check on it later via the 800 number to see if it is on the computer. Like most of us I have had horrible and hair raising experiences with the VARO. Once the VA makes a decison it will take months if not years to get your evidence considered if they don't see it the first time. I would check at least monthly on the status of my claim. If something does not sound right I would delve into it until you are sure they have it right.

Guest phubai70

Pete - always check the "evidence used" section of any award or denial.

If you submitted evidence that and it is not listed in their evidence used

section, that evidence can be used again as "new nad material".