Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Disability Claim

Rate this question

SSGMike.Ivy

Question

Seems within this forum there are a large number of Veterans who have hit the magic 100%, even those with less. Spefically those with 100% who worked their claim through an organization like the DAV, American Leagion, VVA etc and received a nice little back check.

Was wondering how many of you after receipt of a back check, which in some cases can be thousands of dollars, made a substantial donation as a thanks. Or did you let them work your claim and once you received your back check forgot about the hard work that these organizaitons did.

SSGMike.Ivy

Vietnam Veteran

4th Infantry Division

October 1968-October 1969

U.S. Army retired

Jr. Vice Commander

Father Vincent Capodanno Chapter 1101

Military Order of the Purple Heart

"To be a Veteran one must know and determine one's price for freedom."

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I gotta ask, Is there away to withdraw POA?? I wasn't concerned that my vso was not as smart as Gomer Pyle, but now I am!!!!!

Ronn:

Just find another VSO and that fires them automatically. Don't settle for less, the deserve the "best" representation there is. Good luck.

jmack

Ok beat up on us VSO's. But let me tell you I worked for the Marine Corps League first and they ran out of money so now I am with VFW. This works both ways veterans!! Had a veteran irritated that his claim was not properly addressed and wanted me to talk with his attorney. Not having been born yesterday I talked to his attorney and found out that he was a "student" at a law school and I then told the veteran to his face to take a hike. I revoked POA. I work FOR the vet and I make sure that he recieves every benefit he is entitled to. Keep in mind that the most you can recieve is 100%. You do not know how many vets sit at the bar and LEARN from other vets they can get this and that. I do not care if you are a week from death, and SC you are not getting more than 100% (with exceptions for K awards etc.) but 100% is 100%!! How many of you have gone to the DR and volunteered information? Answering questions does not mean spilling your guts. Veteran goes and tells the Dr he was PTSD prior to military. So you get zero what did you expect. Yeah blame the Veteran Service Officer. Just like other things in life we all have bad days, but the VSO offices do not exist because we have been worthless all these years. I filed and did my own claim before I was a VSO because I did not know there were advocates out there and got total SC. But then I have my originally orders and a lot of paper from my years in the military. How many of you have them? Do you know where to get them if RMC does not have them? Do you know the VBA Manual and the requirements for claims? Do you know how to research stressor's? There is a hell of a lot of work on doing claims and I am proud to say I am a Veteran Service Officer and that I work for the Veteran and no one else. I just got PTSD for a WWII vet with an award to 1950, chew on that for awhile. Could he do it, no, and that is why we are now dancing a jig. Don't be so hard on us, we do serve a purpose and we rely on you to provide assistance and if you are so educated that you can do your own knock your self out. :unsure: Email me if you have questions. Richard

bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard I am glad you are an outstanding SO but you know that there are many who are NOT good, they are just filling a seat and talking the talk and then let the ROs chit on the vets. I had a DAV rep tell me I should be happy with 50% for PTSD back in 2004, I am glad I didn't listen to him and kept the appeal active it was awarded and as soon as I got the award the national had the nerve to solicit me for a "life membership" BS, then instead of pressing the claim for SC for my heart disease he wanted to drop it and refile for a 10% claim for hyperstension despite the fact I have had a stroke and 7 heart attacks and I am in a power chair and have aheart ejection fraction of 25% oh and the issue that I was exposed to 77 toxic substances at Edgewood Arsenal thru environmental contact drinking water and soil, and who knows what thru the actual human experiments they did there from 1955 thru 1975 before they stopped, I was told flat out by the SOs that the VA would never ever address the exposures from those experiments, and I might as well forget that issue. I haven't and the appeal is still active. Like all jobs some are good and some are bad, and the bad ones give the good ones a bad rap

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Richard I am glad you are an outstanding SO but you know that there are many who are NOT good, they are just filling a seat and talking the talk and then let the ROs chit on the vets. I had a DAV rep tell me I should be happy with 50% for PTSD back in 2004, I am glad I didn't listen to him and kept the appeal active it was awarded and as soon as I got the award the national had the nerve to solicit me for a "life membership" BS, then instead of pressing the claim for SC for my heart disease he wanted to drop it and refile for a 10% claim for hyperstension despite the fact I have had a stroke and 7 heart attacks and I am in a power chair and have aheart ejection fraction of 25% oh and the issue that I was exposed to 77 toxic substances at Edgewood Arsenal thru environmental contact drinking water and soil, and who knows what thru the actual human experiments they did there from 1955 thru 1975 before they stopped, I was told flat out by the SOs that the VA would never ever address the exposures from those experiments, and I might as well forget that issue. I haven't and the appeal is still active. Like all jobs some are good and some are bad, and the bad ones give the good ones a bad rap

Hey I agree, Just had DAV reopen a claim for a vet who is ONE HUNDRED% The VET is some kind of PO'd. Why would you reopen a 100% claim? Don't blame the vet. I quit DAV when I went to one for some assistance and he told me "we" make to much money already. That was here in Phoenix, AZ a few years back.

bobbyq

BobbyQ – WAY TO GO!! “I just got PTSD for a WWII vet with an award to 1950,” thanks for hanging in there with vets

Mountain Thyme – I concur: “just knowing that there are those who are compassionate enough to spend time giving advice and precious knowledge can make the journey seem less lonely.”

Testvet - Let us know when you prevail and we'll get BobbyQ to teach us that jig. :-)

Entroper - OUCH! Thanks for the clarification on how the POA works.

TS