VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Cola Rate For 2008

Rate this question

JohnM

Question

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpifaq.htm

7. What goods and services does the CPI cover?

The CPI represents all goods and services purchased for consumption by the reference population (U or W) BLS has classified all expenditure items into more than 200 categories, arranged into eight major groups. Major groups and examples of categories in each are as follows:

FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, service meals and snacks)

HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)

APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)

TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)

MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)

RECREATION (televisions, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);

EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);

OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

Also included within these major groups are various government-charged user fees, such as water and sewerage charges, auto registration fees, and vehicle tolls. In addition, the CPI includes taxes (such as sales and excise taxes) that are directly associated with the prices of specific goods and services. However, the CPI excludes taxes (such as income and Social Security taxes) not directly associated with the purchase of consumer goods and services.

The CPI does not include investment items, such as stocks, bonds, real estate, and life insurance. (These items relate to savings and not to day-to-day consumption expenses.)

For each of the more than 200 item categories, using scientific statistical procedures, the Bureau has chosen samples of several hundred specific items within selected business establishments frequented by consumers to represent the thousands of varieties available in the marketplace. For example, in a given supermarket, the Bureau may choose a plastic bag of golden delicious apples, U.S. extra fancy grade, weighing 4.4 pounds to represent the Apples category.

• HadIt.com Elder

Some of this stuff has dropped like TV's but for the most part all government fees have skyrocketed as well as fuel and services food and many other things. I do not see how they could come up with a 2.5% increase. After a Depression I wonder if they will take away from our check?

Guest Dataman

I think 2.3% is a bad joke. TV's, Computers and such have dropped in price. But Food is up more than 15% on everything. Elec, Gas for Heating, Gasoline, Cars, Drugs (Tricare, wetn from, Free, $9, $22 now). I spend at least 50-100 more per month that last year.

Only other thing that went down for me is House Insurance. $150 bucks a year.

So I plan on Eating more TV and driving the Computer more!

Everyone seems to be blaming the 2.3% on the VA. Social Securtity is 2.3% Also. the blame should not be on VA but on Mr. Bush him self and the Republicans. They can not afford to give us a higher rate because he has to support this war that we are in. We need to push harder on the goverment!

What ever happen to the 25% that we were suppose to get?

• HadIt.com Elder

You started earning it today and will get the bump on the next check. Ha Ha don't spend it all in one place.

Well 2.3 is better than .3 lol I am still waiting on a decision on my claim i am 60% now broken back 40% paralysis of sciatic nerves both legs 10% and schrapel scar left leg 10% i am only 29 years old. If my rating goes up does the 2.3% go with it