VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Three C&p's Scheduled, Two Ortho, One Psych.

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I mean, the VA Medical Center has been taking care of me since the first of the year, and they have diagnosed Major Depression Disorder (that's the psych claim, secondary to pain resulting from my SC'd condition). So, they have been prescribing medication for my MDD, and it makes me better, as long as I take it regulary.

Should I take it, and show up at my psych C&P appearing relatively "normal"?

Then, the Ortho C&P's, same thing....the VAMC has been providing me with codiene and some other stuff (makes me better, takes away most of my pain, I can sleep 2 - 3 hours a night now).

Same question, should I take my pain meds and show up at my Ortho C&P's "numb"? Or show up like I would be IF I didn't have the VA's meds "on board"?

I mean, I can really see them saying "claimant did NOT appear to be in any pain......yada, yada", and do NOT think for a second that they wouldn't do just exactly THAT.

Which, of course, brings up ANOTHER silly question:

Why can't they just accept THEIR OWN DOCTOR'S previous dianosis? Why even HAVE a C&P?

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest morgan

LarryJ, I didn't intend to be offensive, and I understand what you're saying. I think you have a very good argument to present to the examiner. If you have a private ortho doctor who would support your statements, I would get the opinion in writing and take it to the exam, and ask that it be added as evidence for your C-file. I helped another veteran who did that and it brought the most important points to the top of the veteran's file and into the hand of the examiner, in writing. The exam report noted that the veteran brought a new and recent medical opinion to the exam and it was considered. He won his claim.

Why am I not surprised that a DRO might say something like that. "Cheating the system" and "My friend the DRO says its definitely fraud..." With all due respect, that's your friend the DRO's opinion. DRO opinions haven't stop our appeals, and in the end, it didn't matter a flip what our local DRO said. Bottom line--The veteran has a statutory right to a thorough examination. You can't rate it if you can't find it. Any danger that the VA puts the veteran in by forcing him to forego meds in order to present the true picture of the injury or disease in order to be properly rated during a C & P exam is not the veteran's fault, and he should not be accused of being dishonest or perpetrating fraud. The fault lies with your friend the DRO's employer.

• HadIt.com Elder

"I asked a friend who's a DRO and they said it was definatly fruad 100%"

Let me have this friends VARO office location, so I might consult with them about my fraudulent activity.

BTW, I do so hope that your C-file is not being handled by this particular VARO.

We wouldn't want to have the appearance of you being shown favoritism because of your friendship with the DRO, now would we. So, in an effort to help you to not appear to be benefiting from this friendship I'll also suggest to your friend that a transfer of your C-file to another, less partial VARO should be in order.

You don't really have to thank me for my help, I'd do it for anybody.

:)

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW, I have already conceded the fact that I am NOT going to stop my psych meds, many posts ago.

As for my other condition, IT'S NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER...the VAMC has gone so far as to INSTRUCT me to accept that fact. They have provided a brace to help me be able to stand. They have provided a walker to help me move around. They are giving me counseling for my MDD, due to the fact of the constant pain I have lived with for the last 43 years. They are providing meds for this pain and this depression. I tried medicating myself for this pain with over-the-counter naproxen. I swore that I would not seek help from the VA, that I had served my country, paid my dues and I didn't owe Uncle Sam anything and that Uncle Same didn't owe me.....I did this for 40 years, until I woke up in the middle of the night with blood pouring from my anus because the naproxen had eaten a hole in my stomach and I almost bled out. It was then that I realized that I needed help.

How dare you call me a "fraud".

How DARE YOU!

Dear Larry J,

Please do not allow some of the comments made on this post effect you in any way. You only wanted some input on a very (as it appears) touchy subject. For I do not belive it was anyones intention to ever persume the fact that you were in any way trying to be fradulant. You only wanted some advice, however as I read the responses of some, that is not what you received.

I appriciate you putting your self out on the line when dealing with personal health issues to other veterans whom most of the time (my expirence) has given me great and valueable information. I do hope this event will not futhur hinder you from seeking advice, help or assistance here at hadit.com.

I will be praying for you. God bless you

Bound4Heaven

• HadIt.com Elder

Number 1 do not stop taking your Meds without a close consultation and approval by your Doc. Number 2 its ok to have a different opinion but I have a low tolerance for sarcasm and personal attacks.

A lot of this could be said more directly and politely. If one Vet goes off their Meds due to this thread than it has been harmful

In my personal experience I know that stopping a Med that I need is a poor choice. I get upset went he VA is late with my Meds and if I have them and don't take them than it is on me.

Please consider this a warning to be careful what you post here. Follow the rules and be polite.