VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Needless Overpayments From Va

Rate this question

Berta

Question

a good read from Larry Scott:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfOCT07/nf101407-1.htm

If a vet can prove they did not deliberately accept an overpayment that they knew was erroneous they MUST fight the letter from VA immediately by filing a NOD-

once a vet takes the steps to fight a proposed bill from VA for overpayment that usually stops the VA from taking the money out of their comp etc-

they MUST act swiftly and get a good POA to help them- immediately.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

A good thing to do in that situation is to take the money owed and pay it to the nearest Agent Cashier.

When the VA goes to collect, show them the recipt. Write on the recipt correction for VA overpayment and put the date.

From cited article: "VBA refers beneficiary debts, including debts caused by compensation benefit overpayments, to the VA Debt Management Center (DMC). The DMC notifies a beneficiary of the debt and the requirement to respond within 30 days with one of four actions: (1) dispute the debt, (2) request a waiver, (3) send payment in full, or (4) contact the DMC to make reasonable repayment arrangements."

In cases where there is a substantial overpayment and its cause was not apparent to the beneficiary or will cause hardship if collected in full, I think a request for waiver would be appropriate. This procedure is similar to "Cancellation or

Remission of Indebtedness" we used for active duty soldiers.

From an ex-finance & accounting NCO.

This happened to me. When my husband died, the VA piddled around until I got a $1100.00 indebtedness. I tried filing for q waiver claiming that the debt wasn't my fault. They insisted on getting financial data from me. Bottom line is they dnied my request for waiver because I was too financially well off.

Liz