Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reevaluation For P&t

Rate this question

wjack12412

Question

I have a friend that is currently 100% SC, but with 70% of it being depression due to his SC back, lungs and a varied of other conditions causing him a great deal of depression. He was given 100% in 2004 at which time his GAF was a 45. He has requested all his treatment records from the VA to see is GAF and it ranges between 50-51 with notations that he is stable with medication, do you think they will lower his SC for depression to keep from giving him P&T?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Lets face it being stable on meds does not mean that you are any less disabled just have better symptoms. I take several prescriptions that in Texas make it illegal for me to drive.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Wjack, my husband's rated 100% schedular, P & T (not TDIU). He has not held this rating long enough for it to be untouchable (20 years). You asked about ratings for people in this category, so here are his. They are all under appeal either for increase or for earlier effective dates. We have Board-directed remands at the AMC, we have Court-directed remands at the Board, and we have pending appeals at the VARO:

60% Status post transsphenoidal hypophysectomy for pituitary tumor

40% scoliosis of the lumbar spine with limitation of motion

30% organic mental syndrome secondary to pituitary tumor

30% bilateral visual field loss

20% hypoadrenalism

20% degenerative disc disease, C4-C6 with scoliosis

10% chronic sinusitis

10% residuals postoperative scar, pilonidal cyst excision

10% bilateral tinnitus

We don't believe permanent and total means anything, even though he's in his late 50's, and that he's still subject to being reduced, which is the reason we continue to pursue his claims so that ALL are accurately rated with the true effective date.

My husband worked full-time until last month, when he had to quit his job for health reasons, all directly related to his service connected disabilities. He's applied for SS disability, and we got an attorney to help with this right from the get-go.