VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trazadone

Rate this topic

Wondering how many are on Trazadone for insomnia, what dosage works for you, how long you actually sleep, and what is the quality of that sleep.

I've been on 400mg of Trazadone for years, getting 2-4 hours of restless, continueous nightmares, sweatly sleep. I wake up clear headed, no drug hangover.

The VA doc recently added Ambien (Zolpidem) 10mg to the 400mg of Traz.

While I don't sleep any longer, it's a deeper, more restful sleep.

Just curious how the Traz works for others. Thanks for any input. Linda

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sleepless,

This is Sleepless in Moreno Valley. I too take Trazadone and have to take 400mg for sleep and although I do fall asleep faster just can't seem to get more a few hours which is horrible. I may consider asking my Dr. to add ambien or whatever insomnia medications they have.

• HadIt.com Elder

What happens is that after a few weeks you get used to the dose and your body speeds up to compensate. If you stop taking the sleep drugs you will probably have rebound insomnia. The more of the pills you take the more your body speeds up and when you stop taking them you stay speeded up for a while. I took lunesta and it made me feel drunk in the morning.

About 2-3 hours of sleep is my max for me, at least it has been for the last few years before I start to struggle in breathing or go into a bad dream. I have severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease also and if I take enough of anything for sleep to put me out longer, it could have the Kevorkian effect. Many times I wake up and scramble for my nebulizar and updraft to open my lungs up so I can breath. I would really like to take enough to put me out longer because I need the rest, but having the COPD and the PTSD the result of long sleep could be a bad deal. If I didn't have the COPD, the other problems could be better dealt with. I take alpralasom and Clonazepam and it works about as well as anything I have found. I am resting better when I sleep my 3 hours max. I just can't stay asleep and go too long before doing the updraft to open the lungs up. A few times the Clonazepam kept me in la-la land almost to long and I could get the medicine in the machine and turn on fast enough. It also takes awhile for it to take effect.

Danang_1969