Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu

Rate this question

david walker

Question

I am combined 60%, and working is killing me due to the back pain & the meds I have to take. Can I file and keep working? May highest single rating is 20% but all may ratings come from the same accident?? I can't take care of my family on what I currently receive without working. This is eventually going to kill me. Thanks guys

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

yes you should file. you can continue to work but once connected for tdiu you will need to quit. in my case i quit then filed. seem to work good for me, but if you cannot quit i would say yes indeed FILE. if you are taking meds that interfere with your work, list them. in my case i had meds for mdd that were screwing my all up. so list the meds you take for your service connection disability and tell the va how badly these meds mess you up and keep you from working. go to webmd and start checking the side affects. i am sure there are a lot better answer out there. bill

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a contradiction in terms. TDIU means that you cannot work, other than non substantial employment. You might apply, but if the rater or SSA had evidence that you were working, it would be counted against you.

I am combined 60%, and working is killing me due to the back pain & the meds I have to take. Can I file and keep working? May highest single rating is 20% but all may ratings come from the same accident?? I can't take care of my family on what I currently receive without working. This is eventually going to kill me. Thanks guys

I agree...

He can FILE for TDIU while he is working [i.e., "substantially gainful employment," which I assume his present job certainly is]...but will he GET it?

Definitely not.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

• HadIt.com Elder

You also need to have one disability rated at least 40% to be eligible. If you are working when you file for IU you just shot yourself in the foot. The IU claim form asks you when was the last day you worked. How can you answer that without screwing yourself?

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder what is non substantial employment? A temporary on call custodian or four hour a day front desk clerk? or just minimal salary (was it 870 a month or something?)just wonderin,cg