Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combat Veteran Claim Question

Rate this question

atc_tj

Question

I was wondering how to claim something that I cannot find in my military med-records. In Iraq I started suffering from overactive bladder. I complained to the clinic and they told me it was because of the increased amount of water I was drinking. I do not have any records from the clinic. When I got back from Iraq I went on my 2 weeks of leave and then seperated from the military 2 weeks after that. I was unable to secure an appointment before I sperated. I now see a private doctor and recieve medication for this problem. Is there any way to try and claim this or is it a lost cause? Thanks in advance.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you can file a claim. If its been less than a year you should move fairly quickly. Be sure and include your Doctors notes and I would ask for him to add an opinion as to when it started.

Good Luck and welcome to Hadit.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I got out August 27th 2006. I started treatment for this in July of 2007. Is this going to create a problem with my claim. I now this is a neby question,but how do I start this process? Which form do I have to fill out? In this form do I have to explain and give dates of the medical condition. Thanks for the warm welcome, this info is really helping me out and it means the world to me. I have search for answers and called the VA and I never get straight answers.

• HadIt.com Elder

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Copy the link. Once you get to the site, register, fill out the entire forms. Send in the requested information. You will receive a Letter of confirmation in the mail that may request a signature. You could also pick a Veterans service organization to help you like the DAV or the American Legion. These foks usually have people at the nearest VA Hospital and you can walk in to do your claim there if needed. Be sure to take the old DD 214.

Some conditions are presumptive to have occurred if diagnosed within 1 year of service separation. If that is the case then the effective date should be the date separated from service if filed less than 1 year.

if more than 1 year, then is is the date entitlement arose of the date filed whichever is later.

Good luck and keep us posted,

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

"I got out August 27th 2006. I started treatment for this in July of 2007"

If you had filed a claim within the first year after discharge and the claim succeeded-your retroactive date would have been the day after service.

I am curious-my daughter is USAF vet and they gave everyone full briefings on the VA claims process-telling them to file a claim ASAP-and within one year after discharge- for any potential SC disabilities-due to the one year for EED rule-of course many disabilities never show up until years down the road-didnt they tell you of these briefings?

"I was unable to secure an appointment before I sperated"

Did your discharge physical note this disability at all?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I did file a claim within the first year. I did not include this in my original claim. When I did my final out processing the doctor just signed my out processing paper work and sent me on my way. Not really an involved physical at all. I was also supposed to get a CPAP machine when I returned from Iraq too. I tried to get an appointment for that but they refused to give me an appointment. I spent the first 6 months after I got out trying to get the CPAP from the VA, which I finally did. I just waited to get medical insurance to see a private doc because I was sick of dealing with the VA. So I don't have any thing in my military records. The briefing involving disability claims was given to me before I left for Iraq because that was the only time my work would give me do to our minnimum manning issues. I bassically got the run around when I returned. It is really hard to concentrate on taking care all of this when I was just trying to get readjusted to being back in the states. On top of that my Grandma passed away two weeks before my return. I had a head full of problems and recieved little to no guidence.

• HadIt.com Elder

Atc

Things have changed since Vietnam, but I see the military still does a half-ass job on the exit physical. They don't really want to find anything they might have to pay for later. I did not even get an exit physical. I got no record at all and just a ride to the gate. If their is a note of your problem in your SMR's I think you can get SC'ed for it since you have been in treatment of it since discharge.