Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

When All Else Fails.......

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

I am making this post as a last effort to find some type of info concerning help for financial hardship situation before I file bankruptcy. I have sought help from all the service organizations and my state and local social services, to no avail. I am in the process of filing for SSI, but was told it will take approx. 90-120 days for decision. I am so disappointted in our government agencies that fail to recognize the plights of veterans. It seems that veterans are at the bottom of the pole when it comes to receiving any type of help in situations as this. I was even told by agencies to; canvass the community for donations. I can't believe that a citizen that fought for his country, now has to canvass the community for handouts!

Well, enough ranting. If anyone is familiar with chapter 13, please give me your opinion about filing . This seems to be the only way that I might be able to keep a roof over my familys head while the VA processes my appeal. Not even sure I will be able to get the filing fee for it, if I decide to go that route.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should inform the VA of your problem and ask to expedite. You can also get help from SOcial and Church Programs in you town. Its hard but having good food to eat can help. Also the utility companies often have programs to help people who don't have money.

In Dallas some of the Service Organizations will help would not hurt to call them.

I went through it almost lost my Home used good stamps and got help with utilities. Believe it or not that was easier than asking my Mom for help.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you own a home you might consider at least talking to a bankruptcy lawyer. Why not chapter 7 since this is personal bankruptcy. You are not a corporation are you? My neighbor filed and it cost about 700 bucks back in 2001. You might try and negotiate yourself with creditors since they get nothing if you declare Bankruptcy chapter 7. It motivates them sometimes. The bankruptcy is on your record for 10 years anyway but you can get credit again immediately.

Sidney just wondering: What are your disabilities? When were you required to stop working? How long has your claim been processing? Have you applied for SSDI? you said SSI vs SSDI.

Chapter 7 would be a better route to go. Also as stated below churches most of the time are more than willing to help out. If you have a VA loan and had a good payment record before your financial hardship sometimes VA will step in in support of the vet and help negotiate with the morgtage compay to help keep your home. Also a quick letter to the VA sometimes help expidite your claim. If you have been notified of a foreclosure action be sure to include a copy of it.

If you are not 21, single and popping babies out like a computerized machine you might as well give up on state welfare agencies.

Sorry we can not offer any more advice. However, if you are at the bottom of the tube hurry up and start the bankruptcy action. This will stop creditors in their tracks and keep them away from your car and home until court is over.

If you have to take such an action don't feel bad about it cause lots of folks find themselves in the same situation. Credit can be rebuilt quickly so that is not a problem. Maybe there will be some action on your claim before court and you will have something to deal with when you go to court. You might just walk out of court with all of your personal stuff and just be a restarted man.

First of all, I would like to thank each one that has responded to my plight.(And I know that I am not the only one in this situation, so I am not looking for sympathy). Knowledge last a lifetime.

I especially want to thank PETE and LISA for their humbling and generous gifts. With all the scams and fraud that is rampant in our society today, it is normal for all of us to second guess our inclination to help our fellow man. I don't know what the policy of the board is concerning this, but my heart will not let me be quite. Most people like Pete and Lisa do not want to be recongnized for their samaritan feats, as shown by them contacting me privately, so if I betray your sense of anonminity please forgive me. I must let the world know that there are still people out there such as you. Thanks to Pete my phone service will not be disconnected. Thanks to Lisa I have an advocate with creditors. My heart bleeds with gratitude!

Thanks Rick for your reply:

Sidney just wondering: What are your disabilities? When were you required to stop working? How long has your claim been processing? Have you applied for SSDI? you said SSI vs SSDI.

I was rated for traumatic head injury w/dementia. I filed for increase for diagnosed mental conditions secondary with IMO evidence(Aug '06--Denied). It is in the appeals stage(form-9 submitted Aug '07) at this time. Senator Burr's office has submitted request for expedition due to financial hardship. I have not worked since 2004.

I am not eligible for SS or SSDI due to lack of credits in 10 yr period.

Well, thank YOU for your service to our country. Yours is a good example of why these cases need approved quickly. They really could approve it in the doctors office and you could get a check in two weeks...ok, now back to reality.

If it is any consolation to you, I lost my home waiting for VA benefits in 2004. Unable to work since 2002, I am still waiting for a decision on TDIU. Last week I filed a "writ of mandamus" because of a 5 year 4 month delay, and other VARO violations of the their own regulations. I dont know if the writ of mandamus will be successful or not, but I have reason to believe they are at least considering the claim.

I dont know if a writ of mandamus will help you or not, but if you email me, I will send you my writ to see if it would maybe help you.

Thanks broncovet,

I'm not sure if a Writ is appropiate for me at this stage, because it has not been that long since I filed the appeal. Senator's office informed me that they are waiting on a reply from VARO to expedite my case, however, I would appreciate a copy of your writ for my files. It may be useful on a future date, as I know I am not finished with the VA.

Thanks

Sid