Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse Check List When Vet Dies

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

Havnt been around in a long time. Lot of stuff going on, been sick, had emergency surgery the end of sep and going in tomorrow for kidney surgery, be in for at least three days, so thats why I am looking for a check list at the last minute to fill out for my wife. Tried to buy land that fell through, screw em I will save my money. Got the VA to finance a stained glass class and the tools and some materials under the ILP Program. Turning my basement into a workshop to build doors, transoms, side lights, all as a unit (and all with leaded glass) just like you buy em in Lowes or somewhere like that, these things sell for over 3K good hobby eh :)

I LOVE DOING LEADED GLASS.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

tssnave,

Thanks again, but I was talking about the people in this thread who had asked for the checklist rather than referring to any unknown lurkers. I was just saying that I appreciate people who say thanks to those who respond. After all, none of us HAVE to respond. Besides, we already know this stuff.

Nowadays, words like "please" and "thank you" are pretty rare. Like manners in general.

As for me, I do try to show my appreciation for people helping me the very rare times I ever ask a question or in the many other forums I've posted in and the thousands of responses I have done over many years online. That's probably because I am more personally aware of how valuable knowledge is (to me it's like $$)...but most people aren't -- they value only the concrete and not the abstract -- so that may explain why they take it for granted and don't even bother to acknowledge answers let alone say thanks to the responder. I sure don't.

So sometimes, it just irritates me...so I mention it every once in a while when the issue comes up.

Regards,

-- John D.

buickx,

I think you may have me mixed up with another poster re: a death related to AO (since I personlly have no AO-related illnesses that I am aware of...yet) but since you brought that up, I DO wonder if death-by-suicide can be related to one's SCed VA disability. If so, this would be something to put on the Death Certificate...but I don't know if the doctor could do that or even know that at the time.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

John,

I understand (re: posting and thanks), makes sense.

If your sc condition were depression, bipolar, and perhaps PTSD (I am not familar with PTSD symptoms so am only speculating on the PTSD) and no other non-sc mental disorders I would think that yes, a suicide would be considered a result of your sc mental disability.

I read a court case to this effect once. I may have found the link on hadit (maybe when Betrayed wasn't doing well several months ago). I don't have the citation, it's not one I printed off (not good for me to think too much about suicide, I have enough issues on my own w/ suicidal ideation without reading about it). But as I recall, one shrink said the vet's suicide was due to his sc mental disorder and the other said it wasn't and in true VA fashion (once you get to the court level anyway) the tie went to the runner under reasonable doubt and the wife was able to have his death service connected.

TS

• HadIt.com Elder

Cloud, TSS, Buick, Bronco, Berta and Betrayed (you're a survivor!) from the bottom and top of my heart, Thanks for each of you and all you do here. I know there are times I overlook acknowledging responses, life gets in the way, got no other excuse. I do truly appreciate all the time, effort and sincere replies to my questions. Also, I do read and RE-read alot of information on Hadit, pro and con, to my issues and methinks, subjects totally unrelated to my case and constantly find new, truly Valuable insights.

My Confession 'I have had a 'checklist' for years, started filling it out a few times, but its still not done.'

Each time husband or I lose a relative, we say its time to get the 'stuff' together. I have the experience of being uprepared for the inevitable, survived it, then see others experience lack of preperation. I do have family members that are prepared to the 'inth degree!

Years ago before major surgery I wrote family letters, still have 'em. Meanwhile, my VA disability ratings have changed and I have been thinking Its Time! So far I have organized important family documents, but need to add a 'completed' checklist and my wishes, one never knows,eh?

cg

tssnave,

Thanks for your thanks...I thought maybe I had wasted my time/effort posting.

-- John D.

Betrayed,

Do you get the retired booklet from the Navy once a Quarter Shift Colors? It has a Checklist In it with all the numbers.

Hope you are feeling better!!! the stained glass sounds like a good side line.

Boats

tssnave.

I just saw there were responses here...

Thanks for the reply. I don't recall seeing much posted about this issue. I believe that most life-insurance policies won't pay for any suicide case the first 2 years of the poloicy. I do not have PTSD but dysthymia...and IMO, dysthymia with at least 2 PTSD features.

cowgirl,

Thanks...even I do not have a checklist. I should be more considerate of people that may be left behind (if I die) so things are easier on them. No excuse for me, either, I just don't care about lots of things I SHOULD care about, and I can say that it's not because I don't KNOW any better. I do. I just can't really get myself to care about getting all my affairs in order, as if I am going to live forever or something.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft