Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Medical Opinion (imo)

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Independent Medical Opinion (IMO)

I hope all of you had a relaxing Thanks Giving, and could be with family and friends and for those who have loved ones who have passed away (my self included), I hope you all managed as best as possible.

I have a question or two about IMO. I have read Berta’s post about this and I did get a very well written letter (IMO) from my doctor. I am wounding if the VA will treat this as an IMO. I say this because, the doctor that wrote it has treated me in the past to include surgery’s and has written a note for me in the past that was not very specific. Does the IMO have to be from a doctor that you have never seen in order to qualify as an IMO?

This doctor referenced my SMR, VA C&P’s, rating decisions, other VA and non VA doctor notes, etc…

Basically my VA and private doctors aggress that my conditions has worsened yet the VA still sent me to a QTC general (non-specialized) doc. This IMO is written extremely well.

Thanks.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

"Does the IMO have to be from a doctor that you have never seen in order to qualify as an IMO?"

No not at all- at long as the doctor refers to your clinical records and your SMRS (if needed) and provides a full medical rationale and also has the expertise to opine on the claim- this should certainly be an acceptable IMO.

The expertise is important-

Med Ops asked me why I had 2 IMos from a Neuro Radiologist and I said because this doctor (Dr. Bash) could read and fully opine on my husband's MRI results, ECHO, autopsy,X rays, etc and comprehend it as well as state that my husband's brain trauma was consistent with that of 'thousands' of MRIs of diabetics which he had interpreted-with same organic brain disease due to diabetes.

I just ordered an additional opinion from MedOps and they said it will come from a pathologist or even a dentist who studied oral pathology could do it-and they will find the best doctor to opine on this IMO-very different from my last 2- and in support of my AO death claim.

A doctor who is treating you would most likely have the expertise as well as current treatment records to provide this IMO to you- it sounds very good-

Edited by Berta

Can anyone refer me to an IMO (phyciacrist) on the west coast - someone who is familiar with the VA system and has gone through it before.

The VA forensic physicrist gave me a GAF score of 45 for combat-related PTSD about 18 months ago, and a more recent VA physicrist game me a GAF score of 35 for combat-related PTSD about 3-months ago. I have had a combat-related PTSD rating of 50% for several years. I appealed the rating in 2/06, and earlier this month they finally gave me the results that stated that I was to remain at 50% because the C&P Case Worker felt that my VA medical records did not reflect a higher rating.

I now have a formal appeal pending as of this week so I would probably need an IMO after reading these posts.

thank you :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

I disagree a little with Nam Vet about the Doc's opinion. The most important thing is for Doc to list their diagnosis, an opinion that it was due to service and if applicable that the injury will prevent gainful employment.

My Brother was given a VA pension from an opinion of a Mexican MD who stated that my brother was depressed and his opinion it started in Service and he could not work. It was a one paragraph letter very brief and not elaborate nor fancy.

The fact that my brother should be 100% is another matter but he refuses to go to the VA cause he is afraid they will lock him up so no C&P and that he put his claim in 1995 and it went nowhere cause he would not respond or go to a C&P the Pension was the best deal and he is happy with 925 a month. He lives in Mexico with a girlfriend and they split bills and probably live better than I do in Texas.

So my point I guess is any Doc's opinion is better than nothing.

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlton

Are you working? If you are not working you should be getting 70-100% with a GAF like that and a statement saying you are unable to work from your doctor. The keys to me seem to be a diagnosis and a statement about ability to work. If you are working the VA probably won't rate you over 50% because they fear you will quit and apply for IU. I think this is understood amongst these quacks and scammers. Apply for SSDI if you are unable to work.

Yes, looking only at Carlton's GAF scores, they seem more appropriate for at least a 70% rating than 50%.

Consequently, somone at an overall functioning level of 35-45 should be rated higher.

-- John D.