Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Prescriptions

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

I began getting my prescriptions from the VA a few months ago. Of course if they don't have the brand name they provide me with a generic equivalent. However I take one, TRIGLIDE, for which they say they can't help me with. Not even a generic equivalent. I am wondering if this is true and if not how can I get this medication or an equivalent.

Thanks, Ruffcreek

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

luvhim,

What is Triglide (fenofibrate)?

Fenofibrate helps reduce cholesterol and triclygerides (fatty acids) in the blood. High levels of these types of fat in the blood are associated with an increased risk of atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).

Fenofibrate is used to treat high cholsterol and high triglyceride levels.

Fenofibrate may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Ruffcreek,

If your getting this Triglide for cholesterol, unless it is shown you can not tolerate the generic

or your doc specifically states Triglide must be used due to XXXXX and gets an over-ride from pharmacy -- then you will probably get a generic. I am basing this on being VA doc and pharmacy,

also based on being RX'd to lower cholesterol.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

If your VA Doc will write that nothing else will do the VA has to get it for you. The VA Formulary is very meager when even compared with Medicare Prescription Part D and many of the newer and more expensive meds are not on it.

If Zocar or one of the other cholesterol won't do than stick by your guns and get some help from your Doc.

Good Luck

Thanks for your replies on this.

Two weeks ago I had my 6 month appointment at the VA. The VA doctor said I shouldn't take the generic because of other medications I am taking.

A week later I had an appointment with my doctor and he wrote me a note to take to the VA doctor which also states that I shouldn't take the generic but he did not specifically say I needed the Triglide.

Question is do I need to have my doctor fax this to the VA doctor or is there an advocate at the VA that I need to go through?

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

I don't know whether this is your case or not but the VA pharmacy sent me a letter a couple of months ago and advised me that my medication ADVAIR would have to be replaced with Spiriva. I did some checking with my private lung specalist, he advised that replaing the Advair with Spiriva was not good and that Spiriva was not a formulary drugs and it would not give me enough of one medications and too much of the other combined with others I was taking. I called the Pharmacy and the VA Clinic and advised them of this. They told me I did not have choice in the matter, it was Spiriva or nothing. I told they were wrong that they changed my medication once and also did me in. I obtained the Advair through a private drug card for a 35.00 copay after the deductable is met. The total price of Advair for 1 month is $209.00. There is not a doubt in my mind why it was changed because of price. I have the same thought on yours. It doesn't matter to them if the drug is working, but the price. I went from an 8.00 copay to a 35.00 but I got the medication that won 't finish me off. It scares me that they can actually save money when they finish you off, in SC payments and drugs costs. Of course, I'm just thinking logical and not giving them credit for being caring.

Danang_1969

This is interesting-I have had high triglycerides for years-service connected KIDNEY DISEASE IGA NEPHRITIS since 70s. My last appt. at the local DR-- SAYS-TRIGLYCERIDES-ELEVATED AT 426 SHOULD BE UNDER 150--- OF COURSE-24 hr urin PROTEIN was--5,423 normal should be

0-150.Ill ck at our VA and see what happens on this precription.

I wonder if there is a connection to DIOXIN? steve & pat