Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Record Keeping

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Just a simple question on how long we should keep copies of our claim statements, Dr. notes, award letters, appeals, SOC, NOD’s, etc.

I assuming we should keep every piece of paper we and the VARO has generated to include any VA med stuff indefinitely.

Thanks

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

concerning all SMR's, VA med records, private med records, correspondence with the VAMC, VARO, service organization, etc., anything that has anything to do with your medical treatment and history....

Till Death Do You Part...and then it gets turned over to the next of kin so they can continue the fight after you're gone.

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is what I did, I took each document and scanned it into a PDF file into the computer giving spacific filename for each. I then saved 2 copies on a CD Rom and keep one in a safe deposit box and the other one I keep in another location. My file had close to 4000 pages and it makes it easier. I started this project in 2005 and I have scanned everything I received.

This is also helpful SSD and other disability avenues like LTD/STD.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

If we don't keep it and they lose it, we are snookered. I have experience instances where they said we don't have it, can you send us copy if you have retained it. So copy all, keep all in a safe place and the better organized you are, the better you can build your case with much less frustration.

• HadIt.com Elder

Probably a good idea to keep most things, considering how many times my scanner and printer(s) go out, let alone the computer sensitivities (shh!). I have copies of SMRs, cfile copy, VA Med File copy, a few Hadit printouts of CFR,and other regs, military orders for PCS, TDY,promotions, performance reports, some old leave slips (?) and a military order type form used instead of passport in europe. Not sure if I'd use the term 'award letter' to label my SC compensation (will get inventive am sure).

Got bout half my stuff in document protectors, avoids the 'out of sight out of mind' syndrome. I can flip thru binders and clearly find what I need. Put the binders and files in wheely type cart, just kick and go (lumbar issues here!) I file 'bout every other month; if not, paper stays in the cart so I can enjoy procrastinating. Speaking of, I got my lights up on the tree, 7 days to go, whew! cg

Just a simple question on how long we should keep copies of our claim statements, Dr. notes, award letters, appeals, SOC, NOD's, etc.

I assuming we should keep every piece of paper we and the VARO has generated to include any VA med stuff indefinitely.

Thanks

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Probably a good idea to keep most things, considering how many times my scanner and printer(s) go out, let alone the computer sensitivities (shh!). I have copies of SMRs, cfile copy, VA Med File copy, a few Hadit printouts of CFR,and other regs, military orders for PCS, TDY,promotions, performance reports, some old leave slips (?) and a military order type form used instead of passport in europe. Not sure if I'd use the term 'award letter' to label my SC compensation (will get inventive am sure).

Got bout half my stuff in document protectors, avoids the 'out of sight out of mind' syndrome. I can flip thru binders and clearly find what I need. Put the binders and files in wheely type cart, just kick and go (lumbar issues here!) I file 'bout every other month; if not, paper stays in the cart so I can enjoy procrastinating. Speaking of, I got my lights up on the tree, 7 days to go, whew! cg

when your done filing there...you can come here..im terrible,one day i'll slow down and do the filing. right now, everything is push,push push. merry christmas, william n

william