Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Living The Claim

Rate this question

spike

Question

Listen,

I am giving a piece of advice here. I understand many veterans find something that is 'wrong' with them, but if you are 100% P&T I would advise against living the claim. Let it be. Let yourself work on your health. One of my friends have said a good metaphor about this....."It's like poking a bear with a stick"-Hadit member (formerly) Jay Johnson. Your asking for the VA to re-investigate your claims. If you are 100 % PT, don't start making all kinds of different claims right away. Think about it this way and I hate to say it this way. What if the person at the VA Claims office, just got in a fight with his wife, slept in the car, back is hurting, and your the first claim he or she gets. Think that they might not 'dig' into your C-file to see if every I is dotted and T is crossed?. I have heard of some vets, losing their ratings because they started a new claim and something in the time that they had the new C&P exam (something they said or did) in the exam triggered the Rating Officer to change their rating for one of their previous ratings. Maybe because the new doctors opinion was different. Take this with a grain of salt. If you don't believe it happens, I am sorry but it does.

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just got my YEARLY unemployability form .BUT this time they cant lose? it like last year.===This time-the VSO in a neighboring county= mails it- I get copys- it then goes to my legion rep=they stamp & verify and then present the form to the veterns affairs in minneapolis federal building--and they sign for it. WITH ANYTHING YOU SEND___ LIKE THEY SAY DOCUMENT,,,,!!!!!!! After they then were going to cut the disability pay-- 20% unemployability THEY finaly got the next 5 copys-- PHONE to VAO =MY X REP DAV-COPY FROM X CSO -onf by mail & ETC. SO AT THAT TIME I REOPENED MY 100% CLAIM_last february== MOST IS AWAITING HAAS= BUT THEY ADDED 10% for a left foot and leg disability-(but this did gain a $10,000 LIFE INSURANCE POLICY=PAYMENTS PAID by VA= for 100% SC.I think ITS TIME I open claims==FOR ALL 3 daughters for ---SPINA BIFIDA . THEY USED TO SEND A SELF ADRESSED ENVELOPE=== NO MORE, STEVE

Do they send this form to all vets, including 100 percent P and T--not IU? If so what's the form number and when do they send it-annually? Thanks for the info!

• HadIt.com Elder

Mountain

The IU verification form is sent yearly to IU vets to check on their employment status. If you don't sign and return it to the VA they have cause to suspend benefits. This is how I understand it. I take mine in and get a hand stamped and dated copy. I am lucky I live close to the RO. I have mailed it in in the past and they always got it, but that is taking a chance with these guys.

• HadIt.com Elder
rentalguy1 said: "...but I guarantee you that they audit C-files all the time."

How can you guarantee us that? Not being a smart a--, just trying to make a point.

If you had a personal experience where they did it to you for no reason, share. Inquiring minds want to know. :angry: I will say though; having dealt with different VAROs I noticed a big difference in quality of service, and in support of your assertation wouldn't be surprised if some ROs go through files depending on the VARO maybe. I think John999 summed it up pretty good.

Every govt agency is required to police itself, and audit it's own files. It doesn't take a GS-11 or a genius to know that. Then, the GAO comes in behind them and does it again. If you haven't been called in for 35 years, then you are past the 20 year mark and basically untouchable, and prior to that you were lucky, becuase 15, or more, years ago, the VA wasn't needing to cut corners where money is concerned quite as bad as it is now. Now, you guys can not file claims forever, I don't really care. Just stop passing around bad info by telling other vets not to file. You all sound just like most of the SO's I've met. And no, I don't have any inside information. Just a little something i like to call "common sense." Being able to put 2 and 2 together these days seems to be a stretch for many. You have to back up and see the entire picture, and not just what's right in front of you (RE: you personal claims, and the luck you've had with them).

Do they send this form to all vets, including 100 percent P and T--not IU? If so what's the form number and when do they send it-annually? Thanks for the info!

HI again Ive recieved these intermitently since 1994 when I finished off the claim 80% and the last 20% IU After we moved up northern minn. they seem to arrive every year,around this time now. j

Just another hoop on my "HAMSTER WHEEL".. Even though back in early 80s I went for reschooling thru VA .Saw the shrink -tests- I was told I met the items for re schooling but with my restrictions {cant sit up for long times-stand-medications-dont get along with people-bad attitude=need bathrooms and etc-)was turned down then .I guess I was unemployable then but wasnt notified by the va of my unemployability----- Im checking to see if I can open a back IU claim now . --------------

-Ill see if i can get the number-

-EMPLOYMENT QUESTIONNAIRER -OMB

Approved No 2900-0079

Respondent burden; 5 minutes

at bottom

VA FORM

JAN 2005 21-4140

I DONT KNOW -DISABILITYS ARE--40% BACK-60% HYPERTENSION & KIDNEYS + fuzzy math -100% TDIU.

IF YOU DONT GET THE SHEET ---DONT ASK FOR IT I SAY

STEVE

I think that a bunch of you are having problems with rentalguy because since he goes to Nashville VARO - they generally are decent to deal with. UNLIKE a GREAT many others. I personally go thru them as well, but thru advbocacy have seen how the others operate, and I am happy (and sad for others) that we seem to have a decent VARO - I KNOW... it's like a 2 headed horse but it does happen.

I have said again and again people in Tennessee are LUCKY - no MAJOR military insatallations really, really good VAMC's - except for the occasional contract doc quack.. and really good local clinics.

Again and again - the lower number of veterans residing in state, the better the service. States that have large military presence, have a large veteran pool, and very busy VARO's and VAMC's. Ours are busy, but I can still get in to see my PMC in the same week normally.

Personally I have very good insurance as well as Medicare, but the VA does 100% of my stuff. Why? Because they were the ones who broke me (or the military anyway) and they should be the ones who care for me. For me it's that simple. I do suspect that if you dont use the VA system, OR SOME OTHER MEDICAL SERVICE WHICH WILL PROVIDE RECORDS YOU CAN THEN SUBMIT FOR ENTRY INTO YOUR VA RECORDS... well it certainly would look odd. I have seen countless cases of vets getting their rating and then turning their backs on the VA. I know the reasons, but... I would CERTAINLY make sure that whatever care I did get was added to my VA medical file... Does that make sense? It's one of those CANT HURT things right?

Anyway jmho (stole from carlie)

I'm disputing the effective date of a 100% award and believe I'm entitled to about 6 months retro pay. Am I understanding that some say I should forget the retro pay because getting it might jeapordize the 100%? This is scary if the VA really works that way.