Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Regarding Claim

Rate this question

ruby

Question

I am a newbie and I wish I had found this site before now. I have several questions and I hope I put this in the right forum, if not please move to the right forum.

I have searched this site for the last couple of days for situations similar to mine but I haven't found anything to date.

I guess I should start from the begininning so others may help me with a full understanding of my circumstances.

While on active duty in the USMC from 75-78 I broke my left arm, left foot, developed asthma, and cervical strain.

All of this is documented in my medical records. I have a current rating of 40%(30% for asthma and 20% for cervical arthritis.)

When I was discharged honorable in 1978 I went to the VA and filed a claim I was given a 0% for numerous condition and a 10% for arthritis.

On my entry exam I never mentioned this in relation to my back (this was related to my headaches), I did however state I was hospitalized for headaches. I also stated I had asthma as a child last attack was 6 yrs old.

Fast forward to 1977 while on active duty I had some urinary tract problems and had a retrograde pyleogram done. In those xrays it showed that I had SI joint irregularities which could be associated with arthritis additional testing should be done (auto immune type-reactive arthritis.

While in the service I never complained about back pain for the simple reason I thought it was related to ie female anatomy and or frequent drills etc.

I was never informed of this finding. I am not sure of the date, either it was 79 or 80 I started complaining of severe pain in my back and legs along with other problems associated with this type of arthritis. I was told at that time I had reactive arthritis by the VA.

For those that don't know its a gene I carry that something I was exposed to activated that gene, it was believed to be food poisoning. it is now believed it was pneumonia.

I was given disability rating for degenerative arthritis of the neck, the back was never mentioned in my first claim ( I never knew I had arthritis period-this was a surprise to me when they gave me 10%).

I filed for an increase in 80-81 for my SI joints. My claim was remanded for additional evidence. I did not follow through on this process.

I had a myleogram done some time in the earlier 70"s or 60's to my recollection, at that time it was due to headaches of unknown orgin. Turned out to be a result of medication I was taking.

The VA is using the myelogram saying I had some prior condition they wanted the names of doctors I saw prior to the service. I never went to the doctor and the ones I had in the 60-s and 70's were now dead or moved. I didn't remember thier names.

So needless to say I said to heck with this and went on my merry way, I left the VA system also as the only medication that worked for me was now deleted from the formulary.

I applied for an increase in 11-2006 for my arthritis and asthma, I went for a comp exam in Late January of 2007 at this comp exam I thought (silly me) that I was being evaluted for arthritis in my whole body not just my neck.

It was the comp doc that said that he could only evaluate me for my neck and I needed to file for residuals, he is amazed that I have the ability to walk based on my xrays. (the are severe on a grade of 1-4 my SI's are a 3 bilaterally- a 4 is total fusion).

I became hysterical and started to sob through the whole comp exam. Who knows what I said concerning my asthma or cervical arthritis.

I immediatley filed for residuals in my wrist, hands, ankles, feet, knees and SI's. which probably delayed my rating. In July o7 I was given a rating of 40% and the residuals were remanded for a comp exam.

In Nov 07 I recieve my comp exam for my wrist, hands, ankles and feet and knees. Again when I find out they are not doing my SI joints I started sobbing to the point the comp doc wanted to cancel the exam. I said no, again who knows what I said during this exam, he was nice but he did have a heavy accent to the point at times I didn't understand him well.

Now I am waiting for the rating on those joints.

My question is, I didn't ask for eval on my elbows, shoulders or lumbar spine.

Do I file another residual for those or wait for my rating and file a new claim.

Do I attempt to correct the VA's thought process that the arthritis is reactive and have to fight to prove it happened in the service or leave it alone.--From what I understand from my rheumatologist xray changes occurr 6 mos to 1 yr after infection, the xrays that show minimal changes occurred in 1977-2yrs after I went into the service.

Also, it appears that diabetes is associated with this type of disease process. I was dx with DM about 3 yrs ago. I suspect I had obvious S&S in the earlier 80's but didn't know.

I went through my military records and found that a doc suggested I be evaluated for DM in 1977 due to some eye problems I was having, this never occurred and I didn't know this until recently. In 1979/80 my lab work indicated I was a diabetic then.

What is my best route. I physically can't work any more, I am 57. I quit my job 2 weeks. I only have enough money to last me 6 months and then I must sell my house.

Thanks for any advice, sorry this post is long.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am a newbie and I wish I had found this site before now. I have several questions and I hope I put this in the right forum, if not please move to the right forum.

I have searched this site for the last couple of days for situations similar to mine but I haven't found anything to date.

I guess I should start from the begininning so others may help me with a full understanding of my circumstances.

While on active duty in the USMC from 75-78 I broke my left arm, left foot, developed asthma, and cervical strain.

All of this is documented in my medical records. I have a current rating of 40%(30% for asthma and 20% for cervical arthritis.)

When I was discharged honorable in 1978 I went to the VA and filed a claim I was given a 0% for numerous condition and a 10% for arthritis.

On my entry exam I never mentioned this in relation to my back (this was related to my headaches), I did however state I was hospitalized for headaches. I also stated I had asthma as a child last attack was 6 yrs old.

Fast forward to 1977 while on active duty I had some urinary tract problems and had a retrograde pyleogram done. In those xrays it showed that I had SI joint irregularities which could be associated with arthritis additional testing should be done (auto immune type-reactive arthritis.

While in the service I never complained about back pain for the simple reason I thought it was related to ie female anatomy and or frequent drills etc.

I was never informed of this finding. I am not sure of the date, either it was 79 or 80 I started complaining of severe pain in my back and legs along with other problems associated with this type of arthritis. I was told at that time I had reactive arthritis by the VA.

For those that don't know its a gene I carry that something I was exposed to activated that gene, it was believed to be food poisoning. it is now believed it was pneumonia.

I was given disability rating for degenerative arthritis of the neck, the back was never mentioned in my first claim ( I never knew I had arthritis period-this was a surprise to me when they gave me 10%).

I filed for an increase in 80-81 for my SI joints. My claim was remanded for additional evidence. I did not follow through on this process.

I had a myleogram done some time in the earlier 70"s or 60's to my recollection, at that time it was due to headaches of unknown orgin. Turned out to be a result of medication I was taking.

The VA is using the myelogram saying I had some prior condition they wanted the names of doctors I saw prior to the service. I never went to the doctor and the ones I had in the 60-s and 70's were now dead or moved. I didn't remember thier names.

So needless to say I said to heck with this and went on my merry way, I left the VA system also as the only medication that worked for me was now deleted from the formulary.

I applied for an increase in 11-2006 for my arthritis and asthma, I went for a comp exam in Late January of 2007 at this comp exam I thought (silly me) that I was being evaluted for arthritis in my whole body not just my neck.

It was the comp doc that said that he could only evaluate me for my neck and I needed to file for residuals, he is amazed that I have the ability to walk based on my xrays. (the are severe on a grade of 1-4 my SI's are a 3 bilaterally- a 4 is total fusion).

I became hysterical and started to sob through the whole comp exam. Who knows what I said concerning my asthma or cervical arthritis.

I immediatley filed for residuals in my wrist, hands, ankles, feet, knees and SI's. which probably delayed my rating. In July o7 I was given a rating of 40% and the residuals were remanded for a comp exam.

In Nov 07 I recieve my comp exam for my wrist, hands, ankles and feet and knees. Again when I find out they are not doing my SI joints I started sobbing to the point the comp doc wanted to cancel the exam. I said no, again who knows what I said during this exam, he was nice but he did have a heavy accent to the point at times I didn't understand him well.

Now I am waiting for the rating on those joints.

My question is, I didn't ask for eval on my elbows, shoulders or lumbar spine.

Do I file another residual for those or wait for my rating and file a new claim.

Do I attempt to correct the VA's thought process that the arthritis is reactive and have to fight to prove it happened in the service or leave it alone.--From what I understand from my rheumatologist xray changes occurr 6 mos to 1 yr after infection, the xrays that show minimal changes occurred in 1977-2yrs after I went into the service.

Also, it appears that diabetes is associated with this type of disease process. I was dx with DM about 3 yrs ago. I suspect I had obvious S&S in the earlier 80's but didn't know.

I went through my military records and found that a doc suggested I be evaluated for DM in 1977 due to some eye problems I was having, this never occurred and I didn't know this until recently. In 1979/80 my lab work indicated I was a diabetic then.

What is my best route. I physically can't work any more, I am 57. I quit my job 2 weeks. I only have enough money to last me 6 months and then I must sell my house.

Thanks for any advice, sorry this post is long.

Not sure how you edit.

There is a paragraph that doesn't make sense I must have done something.

Ruby- someone will move your post to Claims Research at top of the page-that way many more will see it and reply-

Lots here-

you should definitely claim the diabetes as SC-

Have you formally applied for TDIU yet?

and do you have a service officer or vet reo helping you with this?

Welcome aboard---- one of the moderators will move the post into claims research-and we will all be able to read this all-what did you mean by having S & S?

S & S= signs and symptoms.

The actually lab copies I have all show that my blood glucose was elevated each time my blood was drawn.

I am afraid if I educate the rating officers on what I really have vs "degenerative arthritis" I will get denied and possibly lose what I have until I can show them how to connect the dots.

I am also going to apply for SSDI, my earnings have decrease over the past years, I can only work part time when I do work I am in severe pain. I have no personal life due to the pain and having to rest my joints just to be able to work a couple of days a week.

Recently the arthritis in my dominant hand has worsen to the point my thumb is anklosyed (fixed) and I can't do my job. I am having to relearn ADL's using my left hand.

Also, from my understanding I also have bilateral carpal tunnel (x30 yrs) and heel spurs from the arthritis, I didn't ask for comp for the carpal tunnel or heel spurs but I think the heels were examined with the foot and ankle comp.

I did call the VA and find out they recieved the comp exam yesterday, hopefully I will have a decision soon.

No, I haven't applied, I was sent those forms in July 07 but didn't fill them out since according to the rules I don't qualify. I even told the VA I didn't fill them out for that reason.

I have read on this site that I should fill them out anyway and let them make a decision.

I am using the DAV, but I am not happy with him, all he ever says is wait and see.

I guess I thought he should have been telling me the stuff I am reading here or at least direct me to this site.

If possible I will put something in the office to direct veterans here, so far its the best site I have found.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ruby, Like Pete said, Welcome to Hadit.

I feel for you because I know what you are going through with the spine. I have been there and It hurts.

You need to file for SSD quickly. Your age and impairments should get you over the hump.

You should also file to IU at the VA. It pays the same as 100 percent.

Did the Docs ever diagnose your back. You posted Auto Immune. An auto Immune is where the body thinks a part is foreign and turns on itself. Lupus is one disease that comes to mind.

Also ask the VA to decide your claim quickly as you are enduring a financial hardship and may lose your home. They tend to react quicker.