VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Wonderful 1-800 Number

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

Yet again today I contacted the 1-800 number to discuss the progress of my claim. Unsuprisingly, I knew much more about how the system worked than the droid answering the call. Again I have to reccomend that if someone has a question then submit it online rather than talk to these people. They simply are not trained nor qualified to answer your questions. Every once in a while you get an experienced one who actually DOES know the systm, but for every one of them you get 10 idiots.

Seriously, they will tell you contradictory information in back to back calls. It's pointless, and I can see how a newer veteran would get massivly confused by their ignorance. I honestly just did it to see what the person would tell me, not that I'm concerned about the claim since I had filed an online question and already had the answer I wanted. I was just curious as to what they would say....

Anyway, just my opinion and thought I'd throw it out there once again for the newer vets.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes as poor as it is the 800 number is the only contact to a real person. As frustrating as it is it does provide a link to your claim you jut really need to be very careful about any info they give you including the infamous call back in a couple of months.

The 800# here for Buffalo VARO changed their menu recently-

it used to be hit one and then Zero and you get a claim counselor- now if you do that they said you made an invalid entry- it seems you have to wait for the robot to say twice that you got an invalid entry-then hang on and then a claim counselor answer the 800 phone-????

They even went back to using an old robot recording that they used in the 1990s.

I cannot imagine how frustrating this must be for anyone calling 800 for Buffalo RO these days-

Let's face it, calling the 1-800# is just a way to start your day with a joke. A friend of mind call asking the status of his claim and was told it was still in pre-determination and it looks like more information is need and he will also need a C&P. That same day he got his decision in the mail with a 20% increase to 50%. He called back the next day and ask the status of his claim and was told it was with a rater and he should hear something in 30 days.

Why do they tell you things like that? It would be better if they jus say "We are not sure what's going on with your claim", "you'll just have to wait and see"! I wish they would develop a system that would allow you to check your status online.

Let's face it, calling the 1-800# is just a way to start your day with a joke. A friend of mind call asking the status of his claim and was told it was still in pre-determination and it looks like more information is need and he will also need a C&P. That same day he got his decision in the mail with a 20% increase to 50%. He called back the next day and ask the status of his claim and was told it was with a rater and he should hear something in 30 days.

Why do they tell you things like that? It would be better if they jus say "We are not sure what's going on with your claim", "you'll just have to wait and see"! I wish they would develop a system that would allow you to check your status online.

That is very similar to what happened wtih my claim--I would have preferred they not answer at all if they're just going to be creative with their answer. On the other hand, I personally caused a six-month

delay in the rating process.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got lucky with the 800 number one time at least. The VA person told me my claim was being help up due to the VA not having a certified copy of my DD214. This was absurd since I had been getting compensation since 1973. However, I just got one of my certified copies out of the file and drove to the VARO and gave them the copy. The VA also was stalling on my TDIU saying they had no proof of my last day at work. I had proof in the form of a Form 50 from the federal government my old employer. Again I got in the car and drove to the VARO and handed the document to them. They already had my SSA award which showed the date my disabiity began and they had my disability retirement letter. It was as if they were just finding any excuse to delay my claim. I had already been denied TDIU even though I was rated 70%. I got that fixed but then the VA began to fudge on the effective date. Fortunately I am close to my VARO so I can take these drives and get copies and talk to people about my claim. If I had to drive 300 miles I would probably be in a straight jacket by now. When I send in the Iris request for information the VA says they cannot discuss it dut to privacy concernts.