• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

Guest tinchord

Question

Guest tinchord

Hello!

With good intention, my DAV counselor strongly suggested I submit a claim for PTSD. When she breached certain topics, I could not hide my hands shaking and tears. She then directed me to a counselor for PTSD and that counselor directed me to a place for official diagnoses. Now, the VA has requested information and I literally, cannot find the strength to go to the psychologist the VA mental health counselor referred me to, write the letter to the VA explaining the events, and can't find the strength to step aside and do this without horrific embarrassment and pain. I am horrified to tell anyone, let alone, send it to VA-land. I did however reply on one of their forms, that I apologize for their inconvenience, but request the claim be dropped because I am not willing to do what is needed for treatment or diagnoses or to deal with this. Though I have had countless nightmares and acquired a taste for alcohol on regular occassion in hopes to deal without anyone knowing, I already submitted the claim. I am familiar with PTSD and it does seem I am contending with it, but I can't progress via the VA. Will they allow me to just drop it since I stated I was not prepared to deal with these problems?

Lastly, I submitted this claim at the same time I appealed asthma. I did this in April 2007 and have not gotten any confirmation but continual requests for information regarding my PTSD claim despite my request. Could this be what is holdong up their reply for both claim and appeal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

mac/tinchord

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They probably want to resolve the initial issue -the PTSD claim-before they handle the asthma claim.

"I did however reply on one of their forms, that I apologize for their inconvenience, but request the claim be dropped because I am not willing to do what is needed for treatment or diagnoses or to deal with this."

This statement from you should officially withdraw the PTSD claim. It might take a while to get into the c file and you could send them an Iris email via the VA web site to call their attention to it.

You have been very honest about this- if you are unwilling to accept any treatment for the PTSD-this would not establish a paper trail for current treatment of your disability- and that is a key factor to all service connected claims.The VA feels if a vet doesnt need treatment -then they dont justify having a SC rating.

But believe me the VA has heard it all- they do not judge anyone with PTSD or why they got it- I worked in a Vet center with PTSD vets-

many thought their experiences were so horrific that no one would ever understand-and many feared being rejected when they told their stories-

especially a Marine- 2 tours- who killed two other Marines-

when he finally got this all out- no one looked at him any differently-

my own husband thought one of his kills was a woman-whoever it was-his training made him open up on patrol when he saw a glint of steel.

I dont know if you were combat or not- but

you guys were still kids in many respects when you went to Vietnam-

you have to forgive yourselves for whatever unthinkable things happened there-

accidents happened, mistakes were made at all levels of command as well in the units-and NO Boot camp can ever fully prepare anyone for what warfare really is.

Because this is the nature of warfare and it has been for centuries.

Dont overlook visiting a vet center if you do feel the need to talk about it all.

They will understand.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Founder

mac/tinchord -

ok let’s just forget about the claim for awhile, but man, you gotta get some help, your headed down a path to nowhere but more of the same.

try to get a counselor at the vet center if possible, i know you don’t want to talk about it. but, go to that first appointment and tell them you aren’t ready to talk about specifics, but you need some help managing the symptoms nightmares, flashbacks, the desire to self medicate your self with alcohol, and so on. the important thing is just make one appointment and go...this is not something you are going to be able to handle on your own. we can help you with claim advice if you ever decide to try again, but i just can’t stress enough that you need to get some help and the va is it like it or not. you earned it and you deserve it.

tbird

Hello!

With good intention, my DAV counselor strongly suggested I submit a claim for PTSD. When she breached certain topics, I could not hide my hands shaking and tears. She then directed me to a counselor for PTSD and that counselor directed me to a place for official diagnoses. Now, the VA has requested information and I literally, cannot find the strength to go to the psychologist the VA mental health counselor referred me to, write the letter to the VA explaining the events, and can't find the strength to step aside and do this without horrific embarrassment and pain. I am horrified to tell anyone, let alone, send it to VA-land. I did however reply on one of their forms, that I apologize for their inconvenience, but request the claim be dropped because I am not willing to do what is needed for treatment or diagnoses or to deal with this. Though I have had countless nightmares and acquired a taste for alcohol on regular occassion in hopes to deal without anyone knowing, I already submitted the claim. I am familiar with PTSD and it does seem I am contending with it, but I can't progress via the VA. Will they allow me to just drop it since I stated I was not prepared to deal with these problems?

Lastly, I submitted this claim at the same time I appealed asthma. I did this in April 2007 and have not gotten any confirmation but continual requests for information regarding my PTSD claim despite my request. Could this be what is holdong up their reply for both claim and appeal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

mac/tinchord

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

It took me 32 years and 5 marriages before I was ready to "talk about it" and wife #5 insisted upon it, her father had PTSD from Nam and she knew what she was looking at, I like many vets refused to admit I had a problem, then the American Legion rep made his famous statemnet "I ain't filing a PTSD claim for a non combat incident" I went across his desk, needless to say he didn't and I ended up firing him, the VARO would not attempt to get the court martial records of the men who tried to kill me in Alaska and robbed me, I got lucky and learned that all general court martials are maintained by the Clerk Of Coust HQ DA Virginia I sent her an e mail and told her my name and the incident she sent me a reply back that I was a witness in 4 general court martials in 1975 she sent me the copies and that sealed my win. Charges were robbery and attempted murder 15 year sentences but for decades I blamed my problems on my spouses, my kids, my bosses anyone but me, booze, drugs etc does the treatment help yes and no there is no cure for PTSD but they can give you meds to lessen the nightmares, help you cope but the compensation it provides helps you afford lifes expenses and we all need money to pay bills, especially when the PTSD symptoms debilitate you to the point of not holding a "career" type job or any type job for that matter, most people with PTSD do not "play well with others" there is nothing you can put on that stressor letter that the VA has not seen men raping men, women raping women sadistic stuff if you can imagine it they have seen it, the question to winning your claim is there a police report MP report court martial records, letters home to a realtive or friend you told of the incident, some sort of dated proof, but bottom line I agree with T Bird drop the claim but please go to a vet center or the VA and see a counselor they are the best in the field of PTSD......

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Not to reply to your post for me seems criminal. I echo T-bird and Testvet, and I also plead with you from one vet to another, just make one appointment and see where it leads to.

Jmack

• HadIt.com Elder

Its a lot easier to spill your guts in a group of Veterans who have PTSD. I recommend that you consider asking your nearest Vet Center if you can get help there. You can start out just talking one on one to a Counselor.

As hard as it seems now trust me it will get a lot easier to talk to others who have the same problems that you have.

As far as the PTSD goes you should pursue that when you are ready.

One other thing is that you might look into a chat group on internet that is military friendly. You don't even have to let anyone know who you are.

And last but not least you can tell us on Hadit and we can try and help and encourage you.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Echo, echo, echo all of the below. My good friend from your post you are already on the path of destruction. DO NOT DESTROY YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF THE ONES AROUND YOU AND THAT LOVE YOU. If you don't go NOW, and we the Hadit hit team can find you we will hog tie you and drag you to a doc that can tell you how to cope with this. We all love you like a brother and can not stand by and let you do this to yourself. Damn the claim, go get the help you desperately need and deserve.