VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chantix - Helps Stop Smoking

Rate this topic

i didn't do so well with quiting a quit date, so now i am smoking and taking them and i am smoking much less, which is a miracle in itself, very happy about that, and i notice the smokes don't taste so good and i can go longer and longer without them. also when i feel i want a smoke first i try and have a tootsie pop, it's helpful because it gives something to do with my hands.

Saw my cardiologist (VA) yesterday and asked for a refill on the chantix. I explained it worked great for me, that I didnt quit on my picked quit day, but at one point in time they became digusting to me and I was able to quit so easy. I stopped taking the chantix at that point. Well you are supposed to keep taking them, as a matter of fact you are supposed to take them for 12 weeks, I dont think they originally gave me 12 weeks worth. Anyway she said she would go talk to the pharmacist and explain what happened and she thinks she can get me another RX. I have never had any dreams. TBIRD you will get to the point where they become disgusting and by what you said above it looks to me that time is coming soon IMO

And last night I reached that point again and as of this morn I am not smoking. Got to go to the store and get some tootsies and such

The cardiologist was concerned that the chantix could of been what made me fall back into a deep depression in december which is still going on but not so severe, I am taking two anti depressants now wellbutrin and prozac, on tuesday my pyschiatrist wanted to put me on lithium and i told him no. I explained to the cardiologist at that time I was not taking chantix, that I stopped taking them when I quit the first time and thats why I had left overs that I am now using.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chantix is available through the VA, you have to have tried everything and or get the doc incharge of the program to request approval.

In my case I have asthma, and had 3 er visits and on 4 meds to prevent severe attacks. It was approved for 3 months.

I did well on it until I had a major stressor, and I went back to my crutch. I am going to ask for more in the near future but under too much stress now to waste it.

Good luck to all

• 2 months later...

Not to discourage anyone here, but if you cannot quit smoking without chantix, why do you think you can with it? It is not THAT magical, and you still have to decide to not smoke.

I smoked for 15 years, and the only way I was able to quit was to first taper down slowly. Change brands. Only allow yourself to smoke once per hour. Than only once after each meal. Get yourself all psyched out, and one day just quit. You have to have your mind made up.

I found that patches and gum didn;'t work, because as long as you are pumping nicotene into your system, you are going to crave a smoke. Once you stop smoking, it takes like a week for the nicotene to get out of your system.

The battle isn't over. I haven't had any nicotene whatsoever since December, and I still want to smoke everyday. I have heard from other quitters that this never goes away. That is why I don't think a pill can really help you quit smoking.

This may be different for every individual. I may start smoking again tomorrow? I only shared this because it is what has worked best for me, and if you really want to quit, you will.

Good luck!