Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chantix - Helps Stop Smoking

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder
worked great for me, I did not pick a quit day after about a month smokes started tasting bad then one day came and I didnt want them, Never had a craving after that.

Cool! How long you been free? I'm a smoker too - about 5-8 cigs per day ... ~Wings

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! How long you been free? I'm a smoker too - about 5-8 cigs per day ... ~Wings

I was smoke free for three months, then a month before xmas the stress came back and the depression. So I started again about two weeks ago, It was so bad that I was ready to go into the pysch ward. So any way I am taking the chantix again, just started taking it 3 days ago.

I smoked for 15 yrs, used Chantix (not VA prescribed) I only took it for one month, had one smoke on the 8th day and put them down. Jan 23 will be one year smoke free. Guys, if you aren't ready to quit and have your mind set to quit you will fail, plain and simple. I tried three times before I was really ready and took control. You can do it, while taking Chantix if you need a smoke after your quit day try only half, then reduce it from there, tailor it to fit you. Have heard that works for some. If you REALLY want to quit you will. Good luck

This March 2008 will be 4 years since I quit smoking. I did it through the VA at a smoking cession group and was issued the patch. You have to be mentally ready to stop smoking no matter what you use or don't use.

To those who would like to quit which I recommend check with your local VA for a stop smoking group. The doctor I had was outstanding and really a support. I still to this day go back once in a while to say hello, let him know I am still not smoking and to speak with the new recruits.

COngrats to all

I have used it twice, did well on it. Cut down to a couple of cigs a day, they just didn't taste good, I would lite it and take a couple of puffs and then put it out.

Stress came back and I started again, my stress isn't going to go away for another year at least, between home, va, work-should say no work, ssd.

I am one of the few that had severe nausea from it and I mean lay down and take something to sleep through the nausea.

I have only met a couple of people that had the nausea and most did quit on it.

I never lost the desire to stop smoking just they tasted really bad, I think I need to take wellbrutrin with it, there are some clinics that give both, mine doesn't.

I did well on the wellburtrin also cut down to a couple of cigs a day, just didn't think about smoking.

Its worth the money to try it, in Florida, Publix is the cheapest that I found at 126.00 a month.--I finally got it from the VA.